Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!

Hope any of you on the west coast are either buckled down, or getting the hell out of there.

My wife talked to her brother in Bradenton last night, and he said 2 of the 3 acres he lives on are under water as it is. And it look like there will be several more inches coming tomorrow.

Hurricanes really never bothered me, hell, I lived in south Florida when Andrew came through(and various other storms over the course of 32 years). But something about this storm bothers me. If it doesn't get partially broken up heading over the mountains in western Cuba and it hits the Florida Straits at it's current strength, man there's gonna be trouble. Water temp there is about 86 right now if I remember right. That puppy could easily become a high Cat 3.

Barrier Islands will be toast!

Stay safe, my friends.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Are you kidding It's soo pretty out I might ride when I get home and to work tomorrow :D

People have been panicking all freaking day around here. My parent s called to check on me and I told them I forget that I live in Florida I hadn’t been paying any attention to the weather (been here 4-5 months)

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
929_Nupe said:
Are you kidding It's soo pretty out I might ride when I get home and to work tomorrow :D
The day before Andrew hit was one of the calmest and most beautiful days I have ever seen in my entire life.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm going in to work at 1300 tomorrow. I'll head home on Sunday at 0800 if I'm lucky. The Governor issued a statewide state of emergency so state money is going to pay my O/T for tomorrow for sure. Hopefully we'll get skirted this far east tomorrow night. We are NE of Orlando. I'm manning a woods truck with 2 guys that is normally only manned with the 3rd guy on the fire engine, drop to 2 on the engine from 3, so we are really beefing up staffing for the storm. We've maxxed out our stations with manpower and not sure if we'll have a bed to sleep in. Not that we're going to sleep much when this bitch comes in at about 0400 but we're ready to face it head on if necessary. The Emergency Operations Center is fully staffed and online at this time. The west coast will take the brunt of it and it should loose strength by the time it hits this far inland, hopefully. At this time I'm having a few drinks to mentally prepare myself for the upcoming battle and will be in top shape by the time I report for duty tomorrow. The wife is on edge being that she'll be home alone while I'm off serving the rest of the county. I'll give a damage update sometime on Saturday when I get a chance to get online. Tornadoes are expected and a few years ago, in this county, we lost 14 people and several homes. Orange and Oceola county just south of us had almost 50 dead from tornadoes last time we had twisters in the area. Stay tuned for first hand information from the front lines. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Mo Noyz said:
The day before Andrew hit was one of the calmest and most beautiful days I have ever seen in my entire life.
I was vacationing on Marco Island when Andrew came through. We had to evacuate north, but we went back after it passed. There was about 3feet of sand in our rental condo. So, we spent the rest of our vacation up in Orlando.

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smeaktr,

Bon chance, my brother.

I'm worried about many friends and family on the southwest coast. They are all staying.

32 years as a Floridian, and this is truly the first storm that really bothers me.

Glad to be far and away from it, but worried none the less.

Look foward to your updates. I will also provide some of my own as we continue to check in with friends and family.

Where exactly are you at? I lived many years in Mount Dora. Sounds like you might not be too far from there. Sanford, maybe?

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ConqSoft said:
I was vacationing on Marco Island when Andrew came through. We had to evacuate north, but we went back after it passed. There was about 3feet of sand in our rental condo. So, we spent the rest of our vacation up in Orlando.

Ah yes, Marco. A beautiful spot.

My buddy and I used to ride down there. Marco, Sanibel, Boca Grande, you name it................

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Mo Noyz said:
Smeaktr,

Bon chance, my brother.

I'm worried about many friends and family on the southwest coast. They are all staying.

32 years as a Floridian, and this is truly the first storm that really bothers me.

Glad to be far and away from it, but worried none the less.

Look foward to your updates. I will also provide some of my own as we continue to check in with friends and family.

Where exactly are you at? I lived many years in Mount Dora. Sounds like you might not be too far from there. Sanford, maybe?
Seminole County. I'll be in the rural Geneva area tonight and Chuluota tomorrow, just outside Oviedo. Hopefully no twisters as we had in the past.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ft. Lauderdale and WPB are just getting the usual rain off and on nothing major, I heard Tampa was gettin samcked!!!!

(no I didn't ride to work today :evilaugh: )

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
929_Nupe said:
Ft. Lauderdale and WPB are just getting the usual rain off and on nothing major, I heard Tampa was gettin samcked!!!!

(no I didn't ride to work today :evilaugh: )
If i heard right there were parts that were supposed to become an island... thats how much rain they are expecting :idunno:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Why does everyone run to the supermarket any time there is a storm. I mean does anyone think they will be stuck in the house for weeks at a time. :idunno:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
coderedcbr said:
Why does everyone run to the supermarket any time there is a storm. I mean does anyone think they will be stuck in the house for weeks at a time. :idunno:

Hey it happens.... it's better to have it and not need it then to not have it and NEED it

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I personally am headed to the ABC store after work :cheers2:

But I don't think that has anything to do with the storm :huh:

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
coderedcbr said:
Most people who are smart already have a Hurricane kit put together by the time the season starts.

It's important to have food and water for three to five days, flash lights, candles, etc...

If you take a direct hit from a storm like this you may be stranded for several days. Power will be out, water will likely be off, and if it is on it's undrinkable due to contamination from flooding.

Trust me brother, been through several of these. It can get really ugly.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts