Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, can someone recommend a top shelf video card that I can stick in this computer? I play accelerated FP shooters almost exclusively. It's a Dell Dimension 4100, about a year and a half, maybe close to two years old now, 1.0 GHz, 256 RAM, and need of a card upgrade.

Two to three hundred bucks wouldn't scare me off at this point; it's a far cry cheaper than over three grand for a new, high zoot notebook

TIA

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's this newegg stuff? Refurbished card -the one you're suggesting- for a hundred?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I've go an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro W/256MB RAM. Runs everything I need it to.
The 9600 Pro 128MB is under $200, and should run any of your games fine. It isn't the latest greatest, but plenty good.
You may want to type in your serial number at dell.com to see what AGP it supports before buying anything too over the top.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whaddya mean, specifically, about AGP support, BDA? I'm pretty sure the card I have is an AGP, so any AGP card will work, no?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
You're probably fine, but there are different levels of AGP - 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X, etc.
If your board only supports 2X or 4X, an 8X card may not function properly.
I'd bet that if your system is around two years old it probably supports 4X.
Just stick with a 4X card and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You may want to make sure that your AGP isn't integrated on the motherboard. I have a three year old Dell and the AGP is integrated and the memory is allocated from RAM.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Chain said:
Alright, can someone recommend a top shelf video card that I can stick in this computer? I play accelerated FP shooters almost exclusively. It's a Dell Dimension 4100, about a year and a half, maybe close to two years old now, 1.0 GHz, 256 RAM, and need of a card upgrade.

Two to three hundred bucks wouldn't scare me off at this point; it's a far cry cheaper than over three grand for a new, high zoot notebook

TIA
Hey Chain the best cards out right now are the ATI's. Go with either a 9700PRO or 9600XT both of these can be found for around 200.00 What ever you do don't get 4600 or below these are old tech and will not do well with the new directX 9 games coming out this includes doom3. If it was me I'd sell that yosh pipe and get the 9800xt that is one BADASS card for about 450.00.

Also if you like FPS games check out SOLDIER OF FORTUNE 2 It's been my favorite for over a year.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I 2nd the recommendation for an ATI card. I also second ponying up the cash and getting a new system. 1GHz is fairly slow with what is out there today. If you have any computer literate friends then they can build you a system for less than $1000 that will be kick ass. If you don't care about upgrading DVD or CD-ROM/RW drives then approximate pricing follows for the rest of the components:

Case - $60
Motherboard - $120
P4 2.8GHz - $200
1GB memory - $175
ATI 9600XT - $175

There is $600 and you have the start of a pretty good system. You can spend another $50 and get another .2GHz in CPU. You could toss in another $200 and get a DVD+-RW/CD-RW/CD-R drive, etc, etc.

Oh, and Best Buy has Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB buffer hard drives for $100 with a $60 mail in rebate, making the net cost just $40.

FYI, I got my pricing from http://direct.mwave.com. I just built my sister a complete system from the ground up for $300. She doesn't need a heavy hitting gaming system so hers has built-in ATI 9200 video, sound, and LAN on an ASUS motherboard with a Celeron 2GHz CPU and 256MB of memory. More than enough for her needs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts