Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep your job?....

For those who have thought of it... How do you intend to keep your job?

My Silverado is in the shop getting the passenger side window fixed (have you seen the internal workings of Chevy’s electric windows?... it is a cluster F...). Soooo I have elected to ride the XX to work. My dilemma....

A) 15 minutes to work
B) 1.5 hours to suches (N. GA Mtns.)
C) 3 hours to the Cherohala Skyway (and then Deal's Gap)
D) 4 Hours to the Blue Ridge Parkway

*Disclaimer: All of these times are voided unless traveler leaves before rush hour traffic situations. (If I leave at 6:00 AM in order to be at work at 8:00... someone call me in sick please.)

Heck, it only took me 3 hours to get home today...That's not bad , is it?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I don't understand your question

I ride to work and to school, almost every day, and have been for the past, uhh, couple of years. I've been riding for the last three weeks, regardless of weather. No problems.

Whatcha axin?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Hmm, do you mean, how, if the temptation to ride off is so great? It's no different than not wanting to get up in the morning to go to work/do chores.

On a beautiful day like today, it sucked to go to school/work, but so what.

'The sweet ain't as sweet without the sour', right?

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
‘Twas but an observation. Riding a motorcycle, for me, is all about freedom. To be tied to a schedule when on my 'freedom machine' seems like some sort of perversion of the natural order of things. I suppose that if I rode to work everyday I would be desensitized to this feeling... Don't know if I want that to happen.

Back to the light hearted spirt that was intended in this thread...

Remember the old Kawi commercials where the guy was going out for a short ride then the next thing you know he is calling home claiming....Gee..I must have taken a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I take the freeway to work (52 miles one way) and take Bouquet Canyon (local twisties) home. I look forward to the ride home all day and it makes the time go by faster.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't had a vacation in a while so I just take a day off here and there just to ride.
Also, I have some great roads close to my company. A few of us bikers at work get together for really really long lunches.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
There's no fun roads anywhere nearby here I either hit 3 freeways on the way to work, or make a left out of my driveway, make a right at the first major intersection, then pull into my work 40 min later

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's a noticeable difference in my energy level at work if I ride vs. drive. I prefer to ride no matter how boring or short the route is. The bike is just way more exhilarating and my car is a Honda S2000.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Quote There's a noticeable difference in my energy level at work if I ride vs. drive

I used to feel the same way before I lost my job (STUPID TELECOMM).  There were mornings where I used to take a few side roads instead of all highway and there were many days I was tempted to just keep riding but my theory was if I lose my job how will I support my addiction

Sometimes ya just gotta suck it up and make the $$ so we can support our 'freedom machines'

Tom

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That's funny, today on my way in, I thought to myself 'would anyone miss me if I just kept going and went riding for the day?'

I love riding in to work! Right now is the perfect weather 50's low 60's in the AM and 70's on the way home.

Invigorating is the word I always use to describe it.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
With the short riding season we got here, I take my bike every time I can, even if I have to carry a 30 pound backpack. I hate when I have to take my truck in summer time

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I used to ride to work, no more. Too many cagers not paying attention on the highway. I used to dream about not taking my exit and riding in the mountains for the day..never did it though. {sigh}

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I wouldn't get up for work if I couldn't ride there in the mornings.

And my commute is as boring as it comes. There's literally 1 good turn, and I can't knee down b/c there's a bunch of blind driveways along the way (plus gravel and sand have been known to scatter about).

Still, even some highway bombing to work (1 whole exit&#33 is better than driving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Motorway 4 miles then twisties 12 miles, great in summer, hard work in winter. I am on shift work so the traffic is very light when I am on earlies or finishing nights. Always puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Lets see:

Morning - Lanesplitting
Lunch - Mulholland to Stunt Rd to Piuma
Evening - Lanesplitting

Looking at this, it's just like an Oreo. I toss the crappy chocolate outside, and enjoy the filling.. But to get the good part, you have to buy the whole cookie.

Here's the real problem riding to work - Paying for tires. I put a new rear on in July, and thanks to a board filled with industrial sized staples, I had to replace front and rear last week. Rode the Seca in Mon & Tue, decided to take the 929 in on Wed, and 2 stoplights into the trek home, on my new tires, I look down at the light and see what amounted to a box of nails spread across both lanes. Someone is out to get me!!! I guess I missed them all. I almost just got off, cleared a path, and walked the bike through, but I would have been run over..

I'll be riding my Seca in more often, since it's much cheaper to operate.
Fig

1 - 20 of 22 Posts