Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when torquing my fork pinch bolts, the outside left bolt felt like it had stripped as I got it up to 16 pounds. Upon inspection the threads on the bolt looked "flattened." So I switched that bolt with its neighbor and the inside left bolt did the same thing in the outside left hole. :eek:

Can one chase the threads in the pinch bolt hole?

Any advice as to what to do :huh: would be much appreciated (other than buy an Ohlins fork....I've already thought of that ;-).

Thank You In Advance,

BW

·
Registered
422 Posts
The flatned threads on your pinch bolts is from using a front stand... if you have backed your bolts all the way out there is a chance that you have damaged the fork threads :huh: Not sure how well the Heli-coils will work for you...

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
The flatned threads on your pinch bolts is from using a front stand... if you have backed your bolts all the way out there is a chance that you have damaged the fork threads :huh: Not sure how well the Heli-coils will work for you...
:huh: How does using a front stand flatten the threads? Just curious as I use the Pit-Bull New front stand all the time...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Aside from the pit bull stand, :thumb: most fork stands have the seat and then some kind of bolt head that inserts into that little opening at the bottom of the forks.. which smashes up against pinch bolt ruining the threads, at least thats how my LP stand works... But i whish i would have bought the pitbull stands :huh:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
Aside from the pit bull stand, :thumb: most fork stands have the seat and then some kind of bolt head that inserts into that little opening at the bottom of the forks.. which smashes up against pinch bolt ruining the threads, at least thats how my LP stand works... But i whish i would have bought the pitbull stands :huh:
I believe the pinch bolts he is referring to are the ones everyone else considers pinch bolts. The ones on the triple clamps.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
CBRBob said:
I believe the pinch bolts he is referring to are the ones everyone else considers pinch bolts. The ones on the triple clamps.
I was thinking the same as Jason when reading this..so not everyone is thinking of the ones on the triple....the pinch bolts on the bottom of the forks (as they're referred to in the manual) that you need to losen to remove the axel (also matches the torque spec mentioned). Those are the pinch bolts I deal with on a regular basis when changing tires and can be damaged by fork lift front stands. :idunno: Which ones did you mean Brod?

Edit: re-reading this I believe he's talking about the pinch bolts that Jason and I refer to as he mentions replacing the fork with ohlins.....if they're the ones on the triple you wouldn't have to replace the fork....you'd be replacing the clamp.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RRWANTR said:
I was thinking the same as Jason when reading this..so not everyone is thinking of the ones on the triple....the pinch bolts on the bottom of the forks (as they're referred to in the manual) that you need to losen to remove the axel (also matches the torque spec mentioned). Those are the pinch bolts I deal with on a regular basis when changing tires and can be damaged by fork lift front stands. :idunno: Which ones did you mean Brod?

Edit: re-reading this I believe he's talking about the pinch bolts that Jason and I refer to as he mentions replacing the fork with ohlins.....if they're the ones on the triple you wouldn't have to replace the fork....you'd be replacing the clamp.

I was indeed referring to the fork pinch bolts. The ones that are at the axle level. And I use the PitBull New Front stand.

BW

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Hmmm...old thread brought back to life. Doht...I didn't realize you were referring to the axle pinch bolts. :huh:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I remember when removing my front wheel for the first time, I noticed tension when backing out the axle pinch bolts. I then realized that I did not need to loosen them very much in order to remove the axle. I guess what I am getting at is, did you remove the bolts all the way? :hmm:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gblade said:
I remember when removing my front wheel for the first time, I noticed tension when backing out the axle pinch bolts. I then realized that I did not need to loosen them very much in order to remove the axle. I guess what I am getting at is, did you remove the bolts all the way? :hmm:
nope. I just back those axle pinch bolts out as a rule. When it wouldn't torque I removed it at that point.

bW

·
Registered
768 Posts
Another member stripped out one of his pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork. He had to use another bolt in it's place with a lock nut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts