Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The distance between my the bottom edge of the fork tube and fork seal is very small, about 1 3/4 inches. What could be causing this?
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The distance between my the bottom edge of the fork tube and fork seal is very small, about 1 3/4 inches. What could be causing this?
Thanks for any help

I can't picture what you mean.
Can you clarify?
A photo perhaps?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a picture:

Seems to me that there isn't enough fork travel, the forks are dead stiff too. Maybe low oil level?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Here's a picture:

Seems to me that there isn't enough fork travel, the forks are dead stiff too. Maybe low oil level?

Okay, that's a serious problem.
Either the forks are bent or somebody has hacked the springs to lower the front.
Do they extend fully if you lift the wheel off the ground?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So are the forks most likely bent? There are no other explainations?
That's my guess. If the springs were shortened they should still fully extend.
How long have they been like this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I got the wheel off and the left fork shoots down, the right bends forward a couple inches and is obviously bent. I actually just bought the bike and feel really really stupid for not noticing this... Anybody feeling charitable with a left fork? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the dbl post, but another question: The steering stem has play in it, as in if I grab the bottom of the forks I can rock them back and forth about a millimeter. Worn bearings or worse?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for the dbl post, but another question: The steering stem has play in it, as in if I grab the bottom of the forks I can rock them back and forth about a millimeter. Worn bearings or worse?

Worn or loose. Try and tighten the steering stem and see how it goes.

If it's still bad, grease the bearings and inspect the races.

Replace them if you have to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts