Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont worry I have raised them with the help of WD40, but does anyone know by how many mm I should raise them through the headset, I was thinking about 8mm?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, Be careful of the raise. I recommend starting at 5mm, then ride the bike and see how it feels. If you go more than 10mm you turn in will be to much. I have mine rised 5mm with the back 10mm. It is more of a GP style now.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was going to say don't go over board with the raising also.
I thought there was a small wire spacer in a grove that prevented the forks from sliding up higher in the triple. I can't remember if it is located at the top or bottom clamp.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The locater ring is on the bottom of the triple clamp, and can be safely removed.

I've got my forks raised 5mm - have a look further down in this forum for a thread I started called 'suspension set-up' (I think - do a search on Spanky and you'll find it). It covers the saga of setting up the suspension on my 929, including the fork raising etc.

Be aware, different brands of tyres have different profiles - some markedly different. When I changed from Metzlers to Michelins I almost had to start from the beginning again with bike set-up.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did 5mm and felt it was too much and found myself making mid corner corrections after the bike dipped in too fast...went with 3mm. Dunlop D218's

·
Registered
62 Posts
Different tire brands can change the whole suspension settings. If you like what you have stick with it. But, if you change tire brands be prepared to make more changes....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had a quick run today and i think it holds a line much better with the 5mm, i will have a look at your thoughts spanky, regarding the small wire spacer, i found it on the top yoke(i think there is one on the bottom aswell) but eventually i worked it back into the clamp afer getting 5mm above, but i didnt feel right about it, does anyone know the safety issues regarding this? cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
CJ550, there's no safety issues, it's just a locater ring - I have removed mine completely...just make sure you nip the triple clamp bolts up nice and tight (or whatever the recommended torque setting is...!) and check 'em after the first couple of rides.

Cheers, Spanky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts