Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive known that my right front fork seal is leaking fluid for about a month now. I also know that since Im leaking a fork seal that my right front pads are not so great either. I can feel a difference in my front brakes as well. I didnt really realize how much I was losing in suspension and braking until I rode my buddies GSXR600 the other day and the brake had soooo much more stopping power and the front end felt great even over bumps. My bike lurches forward when I apply the brake and then starts to dampen.....and feels rough through the suspension (and when I say rough I dont mean stiff, I mean roguh like choppy)...is that the bad seal I am feeling?

Now I plan on getting the seals replaced, along with my head bearing (it jumps forward when braking hard and I can here it click over bumps)......from a local shop since I dont feel like ripping forks apart, and Ill do the brakes and brake fluid myself after the fork seals are done. Ive adjusted my braking and am careful with the head bearing. Of course the front end feels like crap with a bad seal and head bearing but am I doing more damage by still riding?? Head bearing replacment and fork seals runs about $400 so I cannot get to them for about a month. My major concern are my forks....how much fluid can I lose before I start doing more severe damage?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya well I don't push my bike to ANY limits really, I'm new, this is my first so its what I'm used to at this point, I'm familiar with the bikes handling and braking in this condition not a perfect condition....if anything its better that way because I don't expect more than the bike can give me. When I fix the problem I can take the bike to another level. And I value the opinion, but am I doing damage? That is what I'm really concerned with.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ya well I don't push my bike to ANY limits really, I'm new, this is my first so its what I'm used to at this point, I'm familiar with the bikes handling and braking in this condition not a perfect condition....if anything its better that way because I don't expect more than the bike can give me. When I fix the problem I can take the bike to another level. And I value the opinion, but am I doing damage? That is what I'm really concerned with.
If you run the damper totally dry then there would be metal wearing off the surfaces but I can't think of anything else that might be a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts