Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
had a leak in the left fork, so thought I would replace both. It's a job I've done before, (once, with no problems) but on trying out the forks for real on the road with new seals installed, BOTH forks are leaking. So I'm scratching my head.

Maybe I put the seals in the wrong way round. In the right-most pic the upper surface is what went first into the fork upper. The seal seems to seal in both directions, but now I look at it maybe the more open end (left-most picture) needs to be uppermost, in contact with the oil. I got seduced by the slightly smaller diameter of the seal at the end where the part number is, and though Honda in its infinite wisdom had given us a lead-in to make it easier to start the seal in square....needless to say I can't find a pic anywhere of which way round the seal SHOULD go in....and can't remember what I did last time...and didn't pay enough attention to its orientation when I took the old ones out....:banghead:

What's your experience?

The forks chrome plating look a little scratched. I've heard of folks successfully polishing this out, what's the best material/technique to do it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Hi OB , if memory serves me, the oil seal should follow on after the dust seal with the chamfered side facing the dust seal, as for the scratches I use aluminium foil and wd40 to clean them up , works a treat (always use in a longtitude direction):smile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts