Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so I'm sorry if this has been answered. I read a great write up on how to do the seal change but I was wandering if anybody has a home remady for any tools needed that are not standard tool box items. Also I'm 5'10" and 220 lbs. should I change from factory specs on my adjustments or oil weight. My bike is an 03 954

·
Registered
23 Posts
Use 10w fork oil. And you could make your own seal driver out of pvc pipe from lowes or home depot. Buy it so the wen you cut the pipe in half it fits right around the inner slidingtube. That's the polished bottom thinnest tube.. you might need to sand da edges of the pipe just a little and you might even need to cut it in 4 parts for it to actually fit snug wen slamming it between the outter and inner fork tubes.. I cut mine 2 1/2 inches and was hard to grab all four pieces so the next one I did was 4 inche pipe cut it the long way in 4 parts and went to wrap it around the inner sliding tube and held it in place wit black electrical tape. Best option would prob be duct tape. It took me some time and massive slamming man I even gad to use rubber mallet, if it comes down to it only use a rubber mallet, so yeah I found a fork seal that can do 47mm to 50mm and believe me da 50 bucks I spent were def an investment and no rubber mallet req

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. If I read this right your saying that I'm better off buying a seal driver than trying to make one?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I did the same tried making it out of PVC pipe, turned into more trouble than it actually helped the ones you can buy are perfect fit and metal rather than the plastic, meaning theyre way easier to pound that seal in.

but in my opinion, I'd take the forks off and have them serviced by a shop. sounds shitty, but I had a lot of trouble and frustration with it and ended up costin me twice as much as it would've if I had just taken it to the local shop

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hear ya. My shop wants $160 plus parts. If I take them off. Dose that sound about right? What about the presets is factory specs good for a 220 lbs guy?

·
Registered
746 Posts
damn... 160 is more around the price with the damper rod I replaced in the fork( I messed up the damper rod threads when I was tryin to get the nut off) I think it was more like a 50-60$ service fee..

and your suspension question..that's honestly up to you, the rider. right now the stock settings for me(6'1" 190) work just fine, but if you don't like the ride by all means you should change it to your comfort. if its a little too "soft" try stiffening the settings a little. all about the way you wanna ride man.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They told me 80 per tube. I guess I'll call around. I just got the bike and it is to soft but the seal was blown when I got it so I think new oil and seal will change the feel.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i mean.. it might but I don't know by how much. unless the oils pouring out, i doubt the seal will really have a noticeable effect on it. I messed mine up from comin down to hard with wheelies. and I couldn't tell there was even a problem until I found a puddle by the wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks. I found a certified Honda service shop that will do it for 85 if I take the forks off. I'll get that done then I'll play with the settings. Thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts