Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After adjusting my suspension yesterday I noticed the front forks leak a little. I searched the forum and the only answer I got was that it will leak for a little time after the seals and fluid have been changed. I bought the bike two weeks ago and didn't notice the forks leaking till I got it home. The guy I bought the bike from said he changed the oil in the forks in September. Since then about 800 miles, his and mine, have been put on the bike, but I noticed that there is still a light amount of oil on the front forks. I wiped off the oil last weekend before I rode and this week I noticed that light amount on there again. I guess my question is, does it take more than 800 miles for them to seal? or is there another problem like bad seals (maybe he didn't replace them)? I have noticed the same amount of oil on both forks, so that kind of rules out scratches or abrasions unless they're on both forks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds to me like he didn't do a good job with the seals. My F3 never leaked a drop after I had the seals done..........

·
Registered
871 Posts
May have put the seals in wrong. If you don't put a baggie or cellophane on the fork tube when you put the seal on you'll ruin the seal. Or maybe the Fork tubes are bent, that will cause leaking. Did you follow the procedure in the manual to aline the fork tubes when installing the front wheel ?
To answer your question the new seals should not leak at all. Put several on dirt bikes over the years and they never leak when new if above things are right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oldgoat said:
May have put the seals in wrong. If you don't put a baggie or cellophane on the fork tube when you put the seal on you'll ruin the seal. Or maybe the Fork tubes are bent, that will cause leaking. Did you follow the procedure in the manual to aline the fork tubes when installing the front wheel ?
I didn't do the work, the guy who I bought the bike from did and I missed it when I bought it. I guess I should pull the forks and replace the seals and oil.
What oil should I use and how much do I need? Do I just need two of these from Ron Ayers: http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?searchstring=51490-MCF-000

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I looked at my forks more closely and found that the slides have lines running down them, I guess from small rocks or debris. What's the best solution for them?

·
Registered
871 Posts
You measure the oil height. You need a Factory Manual so you can follow the correct procedure.
Yes nicks in the fork tubes will cause a leak. Not sure if you can sand them smooth. Maybe someone will chime in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts