Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 900rr and the fork seals keep busting i doo allot of wheelys. im just wondering is there any way to stop them busting as much. thanks

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Well cutting down on the wheelies will definitely help.. But thats is my only suggestion.

If you want to do a lot of wheelies, then I would expect to do a lot of seals!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i have 900rr and the fork seals keep busting i doo allot of wheelys. im just wondering is there any way to stop them busting as much. thanks

I do lots of wheelies myself but have never blown a seal. Are you putting them down really hard every time? How often have you replaced them already?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do lots of wheelies myself but have never blown a seal. Are you putting them down really hard every time? How often have you replaced them already?
i bought the bike in august last year and the seals just busted 2 weeks ago but i was out yeaterday and i did come down hard off one wheelie and i tink that what busted the new ones. i just tought they would have lasted a bit longer than 2 weeks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i bought the bike in august last year and the seals just busted 2 weeks ago but i was out yeaterday and i did come down hard off one wheelie and i tink that what busted the new ones. i just tought they would have lasted a bit longer than 2 weeks

It's much more likely that there is a problem that caused the first failure that wasn't addressed when they were replaced.
Were the tubes polished and checked to be 100% good?
It may also be some oil residue you're seeing from the installation rather than leakage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's much more likely that there is a problem that caused the first failure that wasn't addressed when they were replaced.
Were the tubes polished and checked to be 100% good?
It may also be some oil residue you're seeing from the installation rather than leakage.
the old one that bust were just gone from were and tear. the tubes are perfect. the fork were dry before i took it out in the morning time but wet when i brought them home.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
the old one that bust were just gone from were and tear. the tubes are perfect. the fork were dry before i took it out in the morning time but wet when i brought them home.

Maybe take it back to the guy that did them and if they fail again then it's a fair chance he's doing something wrong. Otherwise, do them yourself and make sure they're done right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe take it back to the guy that did them and if they fail again then it's a fair chance he's doing something wrong. Otherwise, do them yourself and make sure they're done right.
i done them myself originally. im wondering did i do something wrong. but its fairly simple job what could go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i done them myself originally. im wondering did i do something wrong. but its fairly simple job what could go wrong.

Nothing really.
Make sure the forks are nicely polished with no nicks, dents or pits.
Tape up the end of the tube to protect the seal and put plenty of grease on the seal to slide it on. Make sure the bush is drifted fully into place before putting the seal down over it.
And be sure not to damage the seal when seating it into the fork outer.
Are they definately leaking around the fork tube and not around the outside of the seal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing really.
Make sure the forks are nicely polished with no nicks, dents or pits.
Tape up the end of the tube to protect the seal and put plenty of grease on the seal to slide it on. Make sure the bush is drifted fully into place before putting the seal down over it.
And be sure not to damage the seal when seating it into the fork outer.
Are they definately leaking around the fork tube and not around the outside of the seal?
i havent took the dust seals up to look at the seal but ill look into that and get back to yea. cheers thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would 5w oil have caused the seals to bust the last time ive them all back together with 10w oil in the them now seem to be much better.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
would 5w oil have caused the seals to bust the last time ive them all back together with 10w oil in the them now seem to be much better.

No, but the forks would've had noticeably reduced damping due to the thinner oil.
8W is standard and 10W is what I'd recommend.
They're not leaking now?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no there perfect now and ive been driving it everyday since to see if there ok. they feel much better on the road also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was tinking the fork were very soft and was bottoming over bumps on our good bumpy irish roads. i tink there sorted now. thanks for the we bit of help lads. much appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts