Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys suggest to use to clean the fork tubes when doing a fork oil change? Getting ready to do mine, but I don't want it to be a complete waste of time. You know, I actually want it clean in there when I put the new oil in. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
spdjunkey said:
Just wondering what you guys suggest to use to clean the fork tubes when doing a fork oil change? Getting ready to do mine, but I don't want it to be a complete waste of time. You know, I actually want it clean in there when I put the new oil in. Thanks.
I use contact cleaner and ultra fine steel wool, then contact cleaner and compressed air. My tubes are polished so if yours aren't you can probably get away with medium steel wool.

[edit]
Just realized by the other replies that you are talking about cleaning the inside of the tubes. I still use contact cleaner, cover the top, shake it for a couple of minutes, empty and repeat with the tubes upside down for an hour or so in a drain pan. After this, I blow them out with compressed air.

·
Registered
77 Posts
for an oil change, without seperating the stanchion and slider, i just use a small amount of kerosene and slosh it around in there, then hang for fork upside down overnight to let them drain out well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
When cleaning my tube, I use Lava Soap and a Brass Brush.... The pumice in it along with the wire brush has a good way of cleaning the funk that accumlates down there over time. If it still is not clean, I apply an anti-fungal.... just in case.

(please note this is not qualified or smart advise on how to clean your fork tubes or your "Man Tube")

1 - 4 of 4 Posts