Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refurbing the suspension at the moment, re-built rear shock, linkages greased, 40,000 miles of crud cleaned up. Decided to srip the front and respring that too, (the weathers so crap might as well do something useful).

Now to the point. Standard settings are 10W fork oil (172cc's). With this in, I found that compression damping only really makes a difference over the last few turns of the adjuster. (almost fully 'in' or on the hardest setting). This seems to be the advice from all the pundits.
This would suggest to me that 10W is a bit too thin. I am considering 15W or even 20W as the thicker oil will flow less readily through the valves and should allow a lot more adjustment on the damper settings.
Any gurus care to comment?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Refurbing the suspension at the moment, re-built rear shock, linkages greased, 40,000 miles of crud cleaned up. Decided to srip the front and respring that too, (the weathers so crap might as well do something useful).

Now to the point. Standard settings are 10W fork oil (172cc's). With this in, I found that compression damping only really makes a difference over the last few turns of the adjuster. (almost fully 'in' or on the hardest setting). This seems to be the advice from all the pundits.
This would suggest to me that 10W is a bit too thin. I am considering 15W or even 20W as the thicker oil will flow less readily through the valves and should allow a lot more adjustment on the damper settings.
Any gurus care to comment?

Cheers
Considering how cheap oil is you can certainly try them but I wouldn't recommend more than 10W. You can also mix them by volume to vary the viscosity - 50:50 of 5W and 10W gives you 7.5W.
If you aren't happy with the damping you need to rebuild the shim stacks. Then you can probably use even lighter oil and get much better control.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure the oil is cheap, but it is a bit of a pain stripping the front end in and out.
My point is that the thicker oil should flow more slowly giving a greater range of adjustment, it will also be less inclined to thin with heat. Oil weight should not be an issue with the correct volume of oil in the fork(?). Unless someone gives me a shout I think I'll try 15W to start with.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
For sure the oil is cheap, but it is a bit of a pain stripping the front end in and out.
My point is that the thicker oil should flow more slowly giving a greater range of adjustment, it will also be less inclined to thin with heat. Oil weight should not be an issue with the correct volume of oil in the fork(?). Unless someone gives me a shout I think I'll try 15W to start with.
Thicker oil doesn't flow through the valving at speed so the forks will essentially become solid over sharper bumps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.