Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any luck refinishing the aluminium chassis parts so they look standard (not powder coating, or polishing)....?

Especially interested in contacts within the Uk that may be able to do this?

Also interested in other coating options - might be cool to change the colour (without powder coating or plain painting)....

Any thoughts - please pitch in....

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,319 Posts
Anyone had any luck refinishing the aluminium chassis parts so they look standard (not powder coating, or polishing)....?

Especially interested in contacts within the Uk that may be able to do this?

Also interested in other coating options - might be cool to change the colour (without powder coating or plain painting)....

Any thoughts - please pitch in....
If you're looking for options other than the ones mentioned above you're very limited. If your frame is still in its factory finish it already has a sligh silver/clear colored anodizing on it. On my original build back in 96 I had it chemically removed so I didn't have to sand through it to remove it. Made it much easier to sand and polish. On my friend's YZedF 750 I sanded through it. I had to start with 100grit. The reason I mention this is if you were to change the color without having it blasted (usually done prior to a powder coat) you'll probably need to remove the a anodization one way or another. You could always try to give it a "brushed" look by trying to just sand it as it stands. But bear in mind if you don't like it it might be too late to turn back at that point. That's my 2 cents anyway. Here is what the anodization looks like after its sanded through and polished. Hope this helps.

I would research Wicked Coatings. Lambchops has used them, and I also saw them on an episode of Wheeler Dealers (which I happen to love by the way). Don't know how close they are to you but they seemed really good.

The dull silver portion on the right of the bolt hole is the anodizing. The previous owner did a sh!t polishing job and I had to fix it last winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts