Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get some Intuitive frame sliders, but first want to be convinced that they will really protect my bike as much as I want them to. What will they protect and won't they protect? It looks like on the left side, the engine cover will still get messed up. Anyone have any comparisons of with and without crashes on a 929?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry but that is a question that cannot possibly be answered as there are way to many variables. Even when the bike is at a standstill there are variables such as the road surface (pavement or gravel). If the bike were in motion it would be impossible to determine the outcome. The frame sliders protect exactly what the name implies, it's main function is to help minimize any damage to the frame don't get me wrong it does help minimize bodywork damage as well but do not expect the sliders to protect 100% of the bike or the bodywork.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah the'yre worth it. And yes, your cover will still touch down if you crash while moving.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Aside from good gear (well made riding jacket, quality helmet, leather gloves, long pants and heavy boots at a minimum) and perhaps rider's training, sliders are probably the best money you spend on your hobby.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
New case cover is only about $56. I'd be more worried if it slammed down and broke at the mounting points on the block. I held on to mine at the track when I went down on the left side (turn 8 @ JenningsGP) and thanks to the frame sliders, rear peg, case cover and bar end, the paint was never touched. Lucky me.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
smkeatr : New case cover is only about $56.  I'd be more worried if it slammed down and broke at the mounting points on the block.  I held on to mine at the track when I went down on the left side (turn 8 @ JenningsGP) and thanks to the frame sliders, rear peg, case cover and bar end, the paint was never touched.  Lucky me.
Turn One Jennings, case cover scratched... a rock scratched the fairing down low and there was sand everywhere... look in the gallery and you can see the crash... Intuitive sliders are worth it... I bought the swingarm slider too as my cheapo LP bobbins were scuffed to hell.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
bullsnake, quit dwelling on the thought of a damaged case cover - that is a cheap fix. Frame sliders are one of the cheapest mods you can do for your bike. They invariably save much grief, heartache, and $$ in damaged plastics, and plastics is where the 'real' replacement money comes in.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Absolutely, positively, most definitively worth it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Get some just stay away from the Lockhart Phillips carbon fiber ones with the stainless steal tops.......they do more damage than good....and I know

·
Registered
65 Posts
KIDRR, what was wrong with the carbon inlay sliders with the aluminum caps? what exactly happened?

Yes, I have them. I friend had them to but when he crashed the bolt busted.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
WyseOne : KIDRR, what was wrong with the carbon inlay sliders with the aluminum caps? what exactly happened?
Yes, I have them. I friend had them to but when he crashed the bolt busted.
I was considering those too, but heard the bolts snap off because the screwed in aluminum end caps don't slide very well on pavement and can actually cause more damage.

I ordered the Shogun Frame Sliders from RideGear. Should get them any day now.

Shogun Frame Sliders

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Good for low sides, not so good for high sides. I high sided and it just bent the frame slider and hit all fairings on one side and the engine cover. I think if it had been a low side it wouldn't have happened so harshly. Oh well, I still think they are worth it.

-Shrub

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't dwelling on the thought of a damaged case cover. I was just wondering if they stuck out far enough to protect it as well as the plastic. I was going to get them either way, as I know they do help in a crash, I was more wondering how much they help.
Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Here's a testimonial from the VFRlist.

'Last week while i was standing next to her cleaning her, i lost the
'balance point' and over she fell on to her Right hand side-I tried the
emergency swear technique to reverse time- but that failed. I feared the
worst- the bike after about 3500Km had not a single scratch mark on her!
She fell on a sloping drive made from rough stones- no soft grass in
sight!

After picking her up (yea ok i had to ask somebody to help-i tried the
'walk backwards and pick it up from the handlebar' trick with out
success) the only damage was

1. Very small scratch on the back(Front?) of the RHS mirror (It polished
out&#33
2. Snapped off the peg feeler (hmm if anybody asks i'l say i corner too
hard)
3. Bent rear brake pedal a little more upwards (cant see it if i dont
look and nobody could notice that&#33
4. Some small scratches on the RHS Bobbin. (now facing down so you cant
see them&#33

...Bodywork damage to the V.expensive plastic- Zero!

In between crying i had a good look at where the bike was resting-and
yes it rests on the bobbin-mostly except for the foot Peg and Rear brake
pedal that touches down first....No plastic touching at all!

Anyway- i'm very Happy with the R&G's...and for sure they saved my
babies skin and my wallet!

My thinking- Their worth their price as well as the pain from drilling
two 25mm Holes in the plastic!'

... And on 929/954's you don't even have to drill the holes. Also, there is a larger selection of less expensive sliders.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I crash tested mine....70 mph low side at the track. Not a scratch on the plastic or crack. Intuitive frame sliders & swingarm spools are what I have on my 954 now too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I highsided my 954 about a year ago. I had to replace the front and tail fairings, but my frame sliders saved the side fairings. The stator cover did get rashed, and I lost the left foot peg and bar end. Anyway, even in a bad situation like that, $50 still saved me $350. My 'friends' (I still haven't forgiven them ) have dropped my bike in the garage, and the sliders pretected it really well then....although my stator cover broke because it was already weakened from the highside....

·
Registered
682 Posts
Have them on my 600 & my 929. I swear by them & not AT them.
Well worth the money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts