Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a zx6r, with intentions of building a race bike. The frame is cracked, and im not sure it is salvageable.

Is there a place where one can buy frames for racing only? I know there are sites that sell frames with paperwork, salvaged and clean titles, but i feel like the price for those is 50% for the paper, 50% for the frame. :rant:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I recently bought a zx6r, with intentions of building a race bike. The frame is cracked, and im not sure it is salvageable.

Is there a place where one can buy frames for racing only? I know there are sites that sell frames with paperwork, salvaged and clean titles, but i feel like the price for those is 50% for the paper, 50% for the frame. :rant:

Does anyone have any suggestions?
did you already check craigslist and ebay?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you want to buy a stolen frame or something? that's what a frame without paperwork will be.
Well i certainly dont want anything stolen, but i dont want to register it, therefore needing no paperwork. A notarized bill of sale of something decently legitimate would be a necessity.

I think craigslist and ebay are my best bet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
so you want to buy a stolen frame or something? that's what a frame without paperwork will be.
Not necessarily. A lot of parts bikes have the title lost over the years. The parts 954 that I bought was like that. I ran the VIN number to make sure that it wasn't stolen - came up clean. :idunno:

Like someone else said, check Ebay and Craigslist. Check your state's web site, they may have a stolen vehicle VIN number search.

Here's the one for Arizona if it helps:

TheftAZ

·
Registered
194 Posts
Burton... that looks to be a stress crack, where the front wheel hit something and shoved the front wheel back towards the radiator. this will not be a simple weld, though it CAN be fixed. but right now im sure your rake and trial numbers are off along with the alignment of the front and rear wheel. here is a link to somebody that can fix this proper for you contact www.GMD-COMPUTRACK.COM and a phone number is 1-877-297-8464, they will be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Burton... that looks to be a stress crack, where the front wheel hit something and shoved the front wheel back towards the radiator. this will not be a simple weld, though it CAN be fixed. but right now im sure your rake and trial numbers are off along with the alignment of the front and rear wheel. here is a link to somebody that can fix this proper for you contact www.GMD-COMPUTRACK.COM and a phone number is 1-877-297-8464, they will be able to point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the effort.

The whole frame i think is useless, the rake is mighty steep, take a look

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww12/Burtonf166/Kawi/zx6r-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Thank you for the effort.

The whole frame i think is useless, the rake is mighty steep, take a look

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww12/Burtonf166/Kawi/zx6r-1.jpg
That's more bent than mine is I think.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/at...ictures-motorcycles-you-had-zx6rg2bulldog.jpg
I calculated it at 3.8 degrees steeper than stock and the wheelbase is 60mm shorter than it's supposed to be. Alignment is fine and it rides great. They tend to bend through the air ducts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Don't know about the US but I have a GSXR1000 frame that can't be licenced despite being undamaged.
The bike was a "statutory write-off" so the VIN was removed and cancelled.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
In the US, a VIN should never be removed. It may no longer be eligible for street use, but if it's removed there's no way to prove that the frame isn't stolen.
The VIN tag has been removed.
It still has the frame number, although I have seen irrepairable frames with the frame number cut out or ground away.
Since a frame without a VIN can't be licenced, such a frame has little resale value so I don't suppose it matters if it's stolen or not. The wheels, forks, plastics, etc would be worth more than the frame and none of that can be proved to be stolen or not.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
What do you mean by the VIN tag? the one on the left side of the frame, which you can see here: http://lolinter.net/929/img_0085small.jpg ? AFAIK, the only markings on US frames are that and the stamping on the headstock.

In the US, VIN and frame number are the same.
Yes, except our VIN tags are aluminium plates riveted to the frame. Without the tag you can't licence the frame.
Yes, the frame number from the steering head is stamped into the VIN tag as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.