Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my brother and sister geeks, I need a recommendation.

I have been using a 'free' DNS service provider for the last few months and the system is terrific. However, the owner has decided that all non-donating accounts will be removed from his system. Fair enough (but why the heck call yourself free??). Soooo..... I need recommendations for another free DNS service provider.

I have used GraniteCanyon.com and GratisDNS.de in the past but GC is too slow and Gratis is non-gratis. I would prefer to stay away from "Dynamic DNS" type systems as I like full control over my ns/mx/whatever records but am willing to try them if need be (looking at dnsexit.com as I type). The key is that it has to be free since this is just a personal system and not worth paying for.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right. That does rock. I thought gratisdns.de was easy to use, but zoneedit.com has many more features! I think the mailforwarding will be terrific if it's included in the "free" package since my ISP blocks port 25.

coo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i use dyndns.org. If you have a netgear router, your ip will be automatically updated in their database. I'm not sure if linksys (sp?) works with those guys or not. Either way their service is always fast, reliable, and easy!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks glory. I'm not really into the whole dynamic dns thing. I'm also running a linux firewall/router/gateway instead of a store-bought linksys-type router. I'd prefer not to install software from those companies on my firewall in case there are problems with it.

Well... my changes have yet to take effect from ZoneEdit. I don't know if they have updated their database yet but each DNS lookup I've tried (from home and from worK) it looks like the SOA is still set to gratisdns.de hmmm.... I wait.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
nomad said:
Thanks glory. I'm not really into the whole dynamic dns thing. I'm also running a linux firewall/router/gateway instead of a store-bought linksys-type router. I'd prefer not to install software from those companies on my firewall in case there are problems with it.

Well... my changes have yet to take effect from ZoneEdit. I don't know if they have updated their database yet but each DNS lookup I've tried (from home and from worK) it looks like the SOA is still set to gratisdns.de hmmm.... I wait.
Make certain you don't have any stale listings in your host or LMhosts files, as that will confuse an nslookup reply from your local machines . . .

Also, try ipconfig /flushdns to refresh your local dns cache.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts