Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I know you might be asking why the hell I'm posting this on a fireblade site, but it's cause I love you guys and even have faith in many of you. Anyway, my friends rc looks to be showing 3/4inch from the bottom of the frork cap(seal area) to the top of the triple. Looks like a lot to me but, i just know a little about 929's. then even with the compression all the way out, and the preload backed pretty far out the front still feels very firm. I can hardly get it to move when I put my skinny 155lbs ass on it. think somone swapped springs? What numbers should we be aiming for as to sag measurements? ANyway, this bike is a mess with it's very worn sprockets, front tire and squared off rear tire, and seemingly horrible suspension settings. but it did show some promise, on a very short ride. No hope of impressing me with speed or power, but maybe something will be praise worthy after some wrenchin'
THANKS!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
No hope for impress of speed. Find a strip run him side by side. It is a different power. Takes some getting used to. Sounds like it was set up for a tubby. If you cant get close to 28-30 mm of front sag find a set of stock springs. The stockers are actually a little stiff on an rc, as opposed to weak on a 954 (hmmmmm I wonder why? Booth? J/K I know why). I am sure there are plenty of rc owners willing to part with thier stockers for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No, the stock front springs on RC51's are not two stiff; they are too soft.  Honda in it's infinite wisdom thinks all RC51 riders weigh <140 lbs (like their Japanese test pilots).  The real problem is the app. 10mm negative preload and the hassles of a top-out spring in the 02/03 models.  At a 155 lbs you may be able to get the preload set correctly but not likely.

To make matters worse, the rear shock is sprung and damped for two-up riding.

The easiest and most inexpensive fix for the fupped-up front end is to add a 10 mm spacer to netralize out the negative preload.  If you are not comfortable enough doing the work yourself or do not already have a suspension guy you trust implicitly then box both forks up and send the to Dan Kyle who will not only install a spacer, polish up the sliders and correct Honda's joke of a shim stack but will install the correct springs for your weight and riding style.  $330 without springs, a $100 additional if you need springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts