Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ride of the season last Saturday. It was still a little cold but I couldn't wait any longer. I road around for a while and ended up at my buddy's house for a cup of coffee. We were discussing the awesomness of my CBR929rr and he said he had ridden sportbikes before. I offered to let him take it for a spin. (mistake) I guess I wanted him to experience how awesome the bike really is because it's just beyond words.
Anyway, he had no idea what he was doing. Over revving it to get it going, couldn't steer it right, barely made it out of the driveway and didn't make the corner to the road. Ended up driving up over into the neighbors yard and then back into the road and down the street. :eek: As he was leaving I had my hands on my face (home alone style) thinking "just stop!! don't go any further" but he rode it on down the road and dissapeared. After what seemed like an eternity (10 min) he came back up the driveway. I was relieved to see him and my bike in one piece. Then... I noticed the RH mirror was folded tight against the fairing. I walked to the other side of the bike and it was all scraped up and caked with mud. :crying:.

Frame slider was worn down about a 1/2 inch. Brake pedal was busted off, rear peg ground down a bit. Scrapes on the mirror, all the RH plastic, the bar end, brake lever and the engine case.

Apparently, he reved it way too high, let the clutch out and the bike launched into a wheelie. He fell off and ghost ridered it down the road and it slid on it's right side for a while, over the curb and into the mud. :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
get a new friend they're easyer to find than awesome bikes.
I let my son inlaw ride mine once sure enough at the end of the drive way
he fell right over 0 miles per hour he hasn't been on it since

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone tell me if the ebay replacement plastic from China for these bikes is any good or is it worth it to buy OEM or name brand stuff?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He offered to pay for a new brake pedal and frame slider and "whatever you need to replace". I was thinking about having the plastic repaired. If I could find new or used RH plastic that was the same color scheme I would look into buying it but if I have to repaint anyway, I might as well just fill the scratches, repair the damage and repaint the current plastic.
I think the frame slider prevented a lot of further damage. The engine case and handle bars and of course the plastic would have been damaged much worse without it. It looks like most of the weight of the bike was on the frame slider.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
How long have you known this friend??

Personally, no body rides my bike that I have not known for long.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Never let friends ride your liter bike unless they already own one themselves.....they just don't understand.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I cant completely agree with that maverick.

Even if they own a 600, it should be pretty apparent if they have enough riding skill to control a liter bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I cant completely agree with that maverick.

Even if they own a 600, it should be pretty apparent if they have enough riding skill to control a liter bike.
The torque of a liter bike is monstrous compared to a 600....that's where the surprise wheelies and whatnot come from.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the ebay replacement plastic from China for these bikes is any good or is it worth it to buy OEM or name brand stuff?
Well it has been a couple of years but it looks like these guys are using the same supplier. We got a set from lees and they were a great color match, and went on with no troubles. I have done a few aftermarket fairing swaps and I can't remember if I had to drill out the holes in this one but that isn't any big deal. Here is a link to some pics.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/91477-fairing-kits.html

Honda CBR929RR 2000-2001 Black & Yellow Motorcycle Fairings [honda-cbr929rr-2000-2001-fairing-25] : Wholesale Honda Fairings,Honda fairing,CBR600rr,CBR1000rr,CBR1100XX,CBR250,CBR400,CBR900,VTR1000,VFR800 Fairings

It looks like they are still going with the black front fender.:smilebig: Like I said it has been a couple of years since I have dealt with Lees, but if they are dealing with the same supplier they were great.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The torque of a liter bike is monstrous compared to a 600....that's where the surprise wheelies and whatnot come from.
It actually works both ways, my brother has a gsxr 600 and it scares the piss out of me when I first jump on, it is twitchy and quick as hell, it is easy to lean and takes some getting used to compared to my 929, IMHO of course;)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
also why bother with frame sliders if they dont stop it getting damaged in an off? May as well have a completely smashed up fairing as opposed to a scratched one... Still need it replaced or fixed!
look how ground down it was. All that damage would have been to the bike instead if it wasn't on there
Never let friends ride your liter bike unless they already own one themselves.....they just don't understand.
agreed. Or owned one

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
bad bad news!!!! never ever let a friend ride your big boy bike!!! unless your riding there's!:evilaugh: if they don't have one, too bad! I have all most let a few people, then I was like :huh: no better not!!! had a friend crash a old 911 I had!!! now, I never hear from him:idunno::huh::rotfl:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'd let my friends ride my sister before my bike! I used to have 2 500 cc dirt bikes, a friend in college said he used to ride back home and hinted he would like to go sometime. So I decided to invite him along one weekend. Long story short, we went off a jump and into a left hander, I looked over my shoulder to see him wad it up after nailing the gas waaay to hard. He broke his knee in 3 places. I found out later that his prior riding experience was on a KDX 80 in the woods in Connecticut, a little different than the high speed riding of a 500 in the California desert. He blamed it on my worn rear tire.:asshat:It was maybe half way to replacement, I rode with it for many weekends after that. Rule 1 in my stable, it's never the bike's fault.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'd let my friends ride my sister before my bike! I used to have 2 500 cc dirt bikes, a friend in college said he used to ride back home and hinted he would like to go sometime. So I decided to invite him along one weekend. Long story short, we went off a jump and into a left hander, I looked over my shoulder to see him wad it up after nailing the gas waaay to hard. He broke his knee in 3 places. I found out later that his prior riding experience was on a KDX 80 in the woods in Connecticut, a little different than the high speed riding of a 500 in the California desert. He blamed it on my worn rear tire.:asshat:It was maybe half way to replacement, I rode with it for many weekends after that. Rule 1 in my stable, it's never the bike's fault.
99% of the people that "ride back home" or "used to ride", that don't tell you what specifically they have or had, all their "riding" experience is basically seeing it on TV or in a magazine

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
99% of the people that "ride back home" or "used to ride", that don't tell you what specifically they have or had, all their "riding" experience is basically seeing it on TV or in a magazine
He was/is a fellow street rider with the same amount of street experience as me, our dirt experience varied greatly though. I guess giving him a 500 was like taking him off a 125 or 250 streetbike and handing him the keys to my 954. His wrist failed to display the appropriate amount of respect, so the bike taught him respect.

·
Registered
927 Posts
This friend clearly doesn't respect you as a person. He took off knowing full well you had a great deal to be concerned about, he just didn't give enough of a rat's ass to come back. He knew this would be his last chance to ride it after that initial stunt. Definitely get him to help pay to fix it. Judging his attitude during fixing and after, decide wether or not you should keep hanging around this guy. What if it was a gun?!? 0_0

1 - 20 of 62 Posts