Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently fitted a new front tyre and replaced the front brake pads on my '07 CBR1000RR. I followed the installation procedures to the book but I still have excessive brake drag/hiss. I understand that there should be some level of contact, but I feel mine is a little to much.

Everything I have done to minimize brake drag/hiss:

1. On installation of pads I thoroughly cleaned the callipers, including the pots and seals and applied thin film of clean brake fluid before pushing back the piston pots to ensure smooth travel.

2. Cleaned discs and checked for warping.

3. Flushed/Replaced brake fluid with fresh DOT 4 fluid and bled the brakes.
Bled it one more time.

4. Kept front brake lever pressurized overnight.

5. Re-aligned front axle by loosening pinch bolts, re-torque axle, rolling bike back and forth, applying brakes and rocking the front suspension before torquing right pinch bolts, re-do rolling and rocking and then torque left pinch bolts. I have done this like 8 times...

I'm all out of options here, does anyone have any other ideas or tricks? Should I perhaps remove the brake pad shim plates?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all,

I recently fitted a new front tyre and replaced the front brake pads on my '07 CBR1000RR. I followed the installation procedures to the book but I still have excessive brake drag/hiss. I understand that there should be some level of contact, but I feel mine is a little to much.

Everything I have done to minimize brake drag/hiss:

1. On installation of pads I thoroughly cleaned the callipers, including the pots and seals and applied thin film of clean brake fluid before pushing back the piston pots to ensure smooth travel.

2. Cleaned discs and checked for warping.

3. Flushed/Replaced brake fluid with fresh DOT 4 fluid and bled the brakes.
Bled it one more time.

4. Kept front brake lever pressurized overnight.

5. Re-aligned front axle by loosening pinch bolts, re-torque axle, rolling bike back and forth, applying brakes and rocking the front suspension before torquing right pinch bolts, re-do rolling and rocking and then torque left pinch bolts. I have done this like 8 times...

I'm all out of options here, does anyone have any other ideas or tricks? Should I perhaps remove the brake pad shim plates?

How many spins of the wheel do you get cold, and after you bring the brakes up to temp?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many spins of the wheel do you get cold, and after you bring the brakes up to temp?
Cold I get just under 1 revolution. Haven't checked it at temp. But after a ride I can hear more resistance when pushing bike around.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Fluid return port in master cylinder plugged maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts