Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the bike out for a shake down after winter mods which included having the front end apart. new ebc pads, a new/used rotor(from dropping the wheel when it was off the bike), fresh fluid and well bled system. with that being said the fronts "sing". almost sounds like locusts or an electric motor when your hard on the lever at good speed. no vibration/pulsation at all. they also seem to drag a bit but i think they always have had a little resistance just now noticable with the noise. the rotors direction is proper and the pads seem to be seated flush.... :idunno: any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
took the bike out for a shake down after winter mods which included having the front end apart. new ebc pads, a new/used rotor(from dropping the wheel when it was off the bike), fresh fluid and well bled system. with that being said the fronts "sing". almost sounds like locusts or an electric motor when your hard on the lever at good speed. no vibration/pulsation at all. they also seem to drag a bit but i think they always have had a little resistance just now noticable with the noise. the rotors direction is proper and the pads seem to be seated flush.... :idunno: any ideas?
My discs make the noise as well - doesn't bother me though so I've never tried hunting for the cause.
Couldn't the disc be straightened?

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
My discs make the noise as well - doesn't bother me though so I've never tried hunting for the cause.
My theory is the noise is made by the hole's in the disc as they go through the pads at speed. :huh:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
My theory is the noise is made by the hole's in the disc as they go through the pads at speed. :huh:
Possibly.
I've wondered if the cooler air trapped in the holes expands quickly enough when the disc wears below a certain thickness to make an audible pop as it comes out of the pads. Was the only reason I could think of for why it wasn't happening originally :)

My discs are under thickness and warped these days so it could be anything :)

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
Possibly.
I've wondered if the cooler air trapped in the holes expands quickly enough when the disc wears below a certain thickness to make an audible pop as it comes out of the pads. Was the only reason I could think of for why it wasn't happening originally
Thats what I was thinking ;) .

·
Registered
310 Posts
My disks make the same kind of noise,has never worried me.To be quite honest I think it sounds cool.I had a shudder at one stage with the old disks in and found the one pad was seated slightly skew.Changed everything new and the shudder was still there.I then studied up on some old bike books of mine as I found no solution in the new books.One suggestion was to turn the discs 90 degrees in opposite direction of each other.It worked,gone was the shudder.Anyway,that was just for interests sake
Cheers
Chukky

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i spoke with someone that has a bit of knowledge with braking dynamics. the noise is normal and usually due to the hard compound of a pad and minute variations from the crossdrilling in the rotors. usually goes away when the pads seat. and can be rectified if not by chamfering the leading edge of the pad. i will give it a few more miles and see if they seat. if not i will try to quiet them up by running a file across the edge..

blade- i took the bent disk to a local wheel repair shop for them to give it a shot. time is a factor and the wheel shop never really tried to repair a rotor before so i figured i'd roll the dice with some ebay parts to get on the road and if they can straighten them, good. if not i'll send it to wills sometime. cant hurt to have a back up set? right?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
blade- i took the bent disk to a local wheel repair shop for them to give it a shot.
I've straightened lots of bent discs usually due to getting bent during tyre changes. I just thought any damage from simply being dropped probably isn't very significant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I have changed disc pads on my motorcycle or other vehicles, I use some brake squel elimnator. It goes between the pad and piston of the brake.
You can get it at any auto store. All it does is absorb the virbations between the parts.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
about 4mm and its in the hub. enough run out to floor the lever by just spinning the wheel by hand.
If you mean that the disc is straight and it's only the carrier that's bent, that's the easiest to straighten. Just use an aluminium drift and a hammer and tap gently until the dial gauge shows true. The carrier is very soft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is one usefull forum;) The sound at 0.58 in bladeracers video is exactly tha same as from my 2000 929 frontbrakes. Due to the information in this thread I will not go on changing discs and pads. Saved me some money;)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The caliper is the problem. This requires an immediate fix. The popping noise the the caliper piston hitting and then releasing from the rotor. get your caliper fix quickly as, once you loose pressure and get air in the system,. you will be unable to stop.
I'd like to think he fixed it in the last 3 years since he posted. I have to disagree with your conclusion though - EBC HH pads make a fair bit more noise than most others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts