Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only my inside pads are wearing...time for a caliper rebuild? 9k miles on the bike. Installed SS lines & pads about 1k miles ago.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's not uncommon for one pad to wear quicker than the other, but it should not be a huge amount of difference.
It would be strange for both calipers to be sticking at the same time

·
Registered
433 Posts
ratter, I had both sides stick at the same time on my bike (12,500 miles). Although, for me the inside was sticking so the outer pads were what got all of the wear and tear on mine.

Pull the pads out of the calipers, clean all around the pistons with brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Then give the lever 1 or 2 pumps. The pistons should move outward and stay there. If they move out a little bit but then suck back in to their original position then your pistons are sticking and you will need to rebuild the calipers. Look to spend around $60-80 depending on where you get the parts (local Honda dealer vs Ron Ayers).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. could have been the outsides wearing...

I'll be cleaning them tonight and mounting new pads...That should get me through the weekend at Barber...not enough time for a rebuild this week!

·
Registered
925 Posts
lfg929 : ratter, I had both sides stick at the same time on my bike (12,500 miles). Although, for me the inside was sticking so the outer pads were what got all of the wear and tear on mine.

Pull the pads out of the calipers, clean all around the pistons with brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Then give the lever 1 or 2 pumps. The pistons should move outward and stay there. If they move out a little bit but then suck back in to their original position then your pistons are sticking and you will need to rebuild the calipers. Look to spend around $60-80 depending on where you get the parts (local Honda dealer vs Ron Ayers).
I did the same thing---helped alot--be careful NOT to ricochet brake cleaner into your eyeballs---its easy to do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts