Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I fixed the kill switch on my 99' 900rr.

Only to have another problem show up.
End of the 09' riding season, my front brakes were dragging a tiny bit. I noticed one of the pads was really low. So I installed EBC HH pads, and bled the entire brake system out almost entirely, and replaced it with fresh Bel Ray DOT4 fluid. The lever was still a little spongy, but it only dragged a tiny bit, and it'd slowly go away.

Now, when I pull the lever, it doesn't "return" out, it just kinda...slowly pulls out about halfway. It's kinda spongy too. My front brakes are dragging reaaallly bad.

Sound like a bad master cylinder seal?

No leaks.

-Richard-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure that you have the 2 spacers on the axle on the correct side. The one with the flange goes on the right side. These spacers are slightly different thickness, and offset the wheel in the calipers so that 'stuff' drags, and also make the lever spongy as the pads get pushed back in a ways. Found this out the hard way....

Cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi office888,

I've just dealt with a similar problem on my 954 - basically replaced the front master cylinder and rebuilt the calipers...on reflection probably just rebuilding the calipers would have done the trick.

A rebuild kit with all the seals etc you need is available from your local Honda dealer (about $90 Aus) or you could remove your calipers and drop them in to be rebuilt by the dealer (around $250 Aus) if you don't feel confident to do the job yourself.

Basically, the pads are dragging because the pistons behind them that push them onto the disc rotor are sticking for one reason or another (worn seals, grit or grime, corrosion, whatever) - that's causing the pads to stay in contact with the disc, and most likely the sluggish lever return (though I can't confirm this one from personal experience as I switched the master cylinder before I did the caliper rebuild).

Good luck !.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the calipers out, and disassembled them.

Piston surfaces are still polished, perfect with no nicks or corrosion. Just a ring of "carbon-scum" around where they push against the pad. I cleaned the ring of carbon off with some acetone, and wiped the whole piston down.

Only a little bit of sludge was in the calipers. When I say "a little", I mean barely a few milliliters of sludgy fluid.

I'll go ahead and replace the seals anyways. They aren't too pricey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.