Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a thread about this a while ago, but now it's getting worse and didn't want to dig up an 8 month old thread. The problem seems to be getting worse, while at slow speeds there is a rub sound that is intermittent and correlated with the speed (slower speeds...rub......rub.....rub....rub.... faster speeds..rub..rub..rub..rub..rub). My front pads are shot and I'm ordering some new ones, will new pads correct this problem or does it sound like warped rotors? Also, when I apply a little pressure to the front brake lever, the rubbing goes to constant (cuz the brakes are actually being applied). Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Posted a thread about this a while ago, but now it's getting worse and didn't want to dig up an 8 month old thread. The problem seems to be getting worse, while at slow speeds there is a rub sound that is intermittent and correlated with the speed (slower speeds...rub......rub.....rub....rub.... faster speeds..rub..rub..rub..rub..rub). My front pads are shot and I'm ordering some new ones, will new pads correct this problem or does it sound like warped rotors? Also, when I apply a little pressure to the front brake lever, the rubbing goes to constant (cuz the brakes are actually being applied). Any thoughts?
Sounds just like mine Wyo. And I've got reasonably new pads as well.;)

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
It's quite annoying isn't it macca?
Mines doing it too :crap:

Have sorted the brakes out this week(they still making the noise) but have now discovered I need new steering head bearings.. :crying:

·
Registered
194 Posts
your rotors probadly not bent because they would spread the calipars apart and then you would have to pump up brakes each time you applied them. if you have had the wheel off it sounds like the front wheel didn't get settled before tightening everthing up. you can check a manuel for the proceeder of installing the front wheel. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never had the front wheel off, but when I get back on Sunday I'll take it off and put it back on according to the manual. Do I need to order any new seals or anything if I'm taking the wheel off and putting it back on? I just assumed it was the brakes because when a little brake is applied it's the same rub noise, only constant

·
Registered
194 Posts
no, but the pistons in the calipars might need cleaned and greased to allow full movement back into the calipar itself. my bad i didn't see where you said that your pads need replaced. so putting some new pads on and using a can of brake parts cleaner to tidey up the calipars and installing the wheel by the instructions in the manual you be go to go then

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
I've never had the front wheel off, but when I get back on Sunday I'll take it off and put it back on according to the manual. Do I need to order any new seals or anything if I'm taking the wheel off and putting it back on? I just assumed it was the brakes because when a little brake is applied it's the same rub noise, only constant
Nothing extra needed to take it off and on Wyo. The pads make that noise because they actually touch the disc ever so lighty when they're not in use when you're riding along. Thats how their designed to work. If they where pushed away from the disc, when you applied the brakes again there would be a lot of lever travel to push them back onto the disc and the lever would come all the way to the bar. I had a really big tank slapper once, big enough for the pads to go back into the callipers and when I tried to stop I had no brakes untill I pumped them back out.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Mines doing it too :crap:

Have sorted the brakes out this week(they still making the noise) but have now discovered I need new steering head bearings.. :crying:
Always something, aye Loopy. :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, thanks for all the help, ordering a set of ebc sintered pads, so when those come end the front end will get a good strip down and we'll see if it stops this annoying racket

·
Registered
47 Posts
i had a similar problem when i started riding my blade, the front brakes were always rubbing, until one day they got stuck on the motorway, performed my first stoppie, stripped and cleaned calipers, ok for a wail but same happen again, changed master cylinder, still the same, problem was the brake hoses they werent "sucking" back up, changed for goodridge hose and problem solved

·
Registered
217 Posts
900rrRider, you might be right. I have experienced (on a car) that the inner rubber layer in an old brake hoose had broke up and formed a kind of valve mechanism which prevented reverse flow of brake fluid. It was almost impossible to press the piston back into the brake cylinder. After replacing the brake hose, the problem was gone.

Regards ... Fred

·
Registered
47 Posts
900rrRider, you might be right. I have experienced (on a car) that the inner rubber layer in an old brake hoose had broke up and formed a kind of valve mechanism which prevented reverse flow of brake fluid. It was almost impossible to press the piston back into the brake cylinder. After replacing the brake hose, the problem was gone.

Regards ... Fred
to be honest i had never heard of anyone having this problem, i was really surprised to actually being the hoses she had only 10000mls but i suppose time always catch up :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
900rrRider, I can expand a little on what I learned that day:
I cut the hoose open to find out what had caused the reverse flow blockage. The hoose had an inner rubber layer which (due to age I presume) had many many longitudinal cracks and some transversal cracks also. And in some places the inner layer was also separating from the outer layer bending into the stream of brake fluid. One of these rubber strips had then got squezed backwards into the hoose and had blocked the reverse flow.
Such blcoking can off course also happen for the forward flow, and be the reason for a car braking unevenly on left/right sides.

Cheers ... Fred

·
Banned
768 Posts
900rrRider, I can expand a little on what I learned that day:
I cut the hoose open to find out what had caused the reverse flow blockage. The hoose had an inner rubber layer which (due to age I presume) had many many longitudinal cracks and some transversal cracks also. And in some places the inner layer was also separating from the outer layer bending into the stream of brake fluid. One of these rubber strips had then got squezed backwards into the hoose and had blocked the reverse flow.
Such blcoking can off course also happen for the forward flow, and be the reason for a car braking unevenly on left/right sides.

Cheers ... Fred
christ fred, you talk like me. a call a house a hoose, an you said hoose a few times, hi bro.

cheers,
ron :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts