Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, need some help here. I had the front wheel off for a tire change Friday and now the front brake is dragging. Not enough to prevent the bike from rolling but you can definitely hear it when you roll the bike in and out of the garage, there's enough noise going on down there to know something isn't quite right.

I took everything back apart and reassembled twice, same results each time. I did notice when I tried to push the caliper pistons back into their bores for assembly clearance, only two pistons on one side of each caliper would move. The other side would not retract into the bore. This was on both right and left calipers. Very strange, especially since the bike is brand new with only 2800 miles. I looked at the parts breakdown on the calipers just now and can't see anything in the design that would would prevent the pistons on one side of the caliper from retracting back (like a check valve). I find it difficult to believe that I have two defective brake calipers on a new bike.

Not sure where the drag is coming from but clearance between the left hand caliper and the left hand rotor is adjusted by loosening the left side pinch bolts and sliding the lower fork leg in or out on the axle.

The only thing I can figure at this point is I didn't get the axle clamped in the exact same position as before (even a couple thousands would make a lot of brake drag) and the caliper pistons are not backing off and allowing clearance as they should.

Anybody had this Particular problem on an '07 before? Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
check your resevior on the handlebar to ensure it's not full, you will only be able to push the pistons in so far because when the bike is first serviced, they add fluid then pump up the brakes for the first time pushing the pistons out to contact the rotors, then they top it of to the full mark, in order to push them all the way in, you have to bleed of some of the fluid. sealed system. unless you opened the bleeder valves when you tried to retract them, in that case, i don't know.

hope this helps

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check your resevior on the handlebar to ensure it's not full, you will only be able to push the pistons in so far because when the bike is first serviced, they add fluid then pump up the brakes for the first time pushing the pistons out to contact the rotors, then they top it of to the full mark, in order to push them all the way in, you have to bleed of some of the fluid. sealed system. unless you opened the bleeder valves when you tried to retract them, in that case, i don't know.

hope this helps
Good idea, I'll check that out, thanks!:thumb: I also found a couple of other threads on CBR 1000s with brake drag issues right after front wheel removal. Apparently this is a pretty common issue and requires very careful setup to minimize brake drag after wheel replacement. There is a procedure where you leave the left side pinch bolts loose, pump the forks and squeeze the brakes to equalize the calipers relative to the brake rotors then retighten the pinch bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts