Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 cbr1000rr abs.
Sometimes when i pull on the front brake lever it pulls back closer to the grip. The difference between lever pull is around 10-15mm. That is, sometimes when i ride the lever will pull back further to the grip by as much as 15mm.:confused:
It feels like the brakes are fading and there is much spongy feel.
I took it in for its first 1k service and the guys there said this is normal for the abs model.
My previous bike was a Ninja 1000 with abs and i never experienced this before.

Does anyone know whether this is normal or whether those guys at Peter Stevenson in Melbourne don't know what they are on about?

·
Registered
927 Posts
This is why I don't ever want to own a bike with ABS. How I figure it, there is a bypass valve that opens when you are overloading the front brakes (not necessarily the tires' braking ability) and it bleeds that extra fluid you are squeezing for back into you master cylinder, and the result is the brake lever allowing more pull distance for no additional braking. Side affects may include concern for bike's performance, reliability, design credibility and in some cases affect the rider's self esteem because the bike will not ride as spritely as the other bikes around it. It's probably not all ABS systems, but maybe this Honda one is too forgiving on the bleed off side. On the other hand, maybe it wasn't properly bled from the start. Can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your response eu4ic1000.

Perhaps this is a symptom of the Honda ABS as this is a unique system compared to the others. But i am not sure. There is no mention in the manual and nor much write up on the internet.
Yes, the brakes were bled.

Does anyone who has an abs model (c-abs) experience the same?

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is why I don't ever want to own a bike with ABS. How I figure it, there is a bypass valve that opens when you are overloading the front brakes (not necessarily the tires' braking ability) and it bleeds that extra fluid you are squeezing for back into you master cylinder, and the result is the brake lever allowing more pull distance for no additional braking. Side affects may include concern for bike's performance, reliability, design credibility and in some cases affect the rider's self esteem because the bike will not ride as spritely as the other bikes around it. It's probably not all ABS systems, but maybe this Honda one is too forgiving on the bleed off side. On the other hand, maybe it wasn't properly bled from the start. Can't hurt to try.
Are you saying that the ABS system is releasing brake pressure without the wheel actually locking? I don't know a lot about abs on bikes....but that just doesn't sound right:idunno:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Are you saying that the ABS system is releasing brake pressure without the wheel actually locking? I don't know a lot about abs on bikes....but that just doesn't sound right:idunno:
Considering they use wheel speed sensors, I really do not see that happening.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had abs bikes before and this is the first time i am experiencing the front lever being pulled in closer to the grips at times (about 30% of the time).

Does anyone have a abs cbr1000rr that they can share their thoughts on this topic?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not wanting to get into debate whether to have or not have abs.
Personally i have views on this topic, but for now i have a important quest. That is to find out whether what i am experiencing is normal for a CBr1000rr with abs or not.

I can't help feeling it is not considering my other bikes had abs, yet the service guys say it is normal??????????

Anyone there with a cbr1000rr abs?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Whatever people's preferences are, it's not normal behaviour. Go get it checked out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:

i have sent Honda Australia an email. They are yet to reply. i want to hear back front Honda before taking to dealer to get it checked out in case they give me the same treatment as those clowns at PS.

i have bled the front brakes. no air in the front brakes, but just a very little bit of air from the master cylinder. This has made a small improvement. the lever still pulls closer to the grips, but less often.

i will give Honda Australia another week to reply.

In the meantime does anyone have instructions on how to properly bleed a 2012 with abs?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
There's a special procedure for bleeding the ABS system. Best bet is to get the service manual for it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
UPDATE:

i have sent Honda Australia an email. They are yet to reply. i want to hear back front Honda before taking to dealer to get it checked out in case they give me the same treatment as those clowns at PS.

i have bled the front brakes. no air in the front brakes, but just a very little bit of air from the master cylinder. This has made a small improvement. the lever still pulls closer to the grips, but less often.

i will give Honda Australia another week to reply.

In the meantime does anyone have instructions on how to properly bleed a 2012 with abs?
Just a thought...but have you taken a look at the ABS sensor wheel (I assume that's what they use) Check for any damage (nicks, bends, etc.) With the lever pulling close to the grip only sometimes, it makes me think that its trying to activate the ABS...obviously a malfunction if you're not in a low traction situation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have checked for physical signs of damage. Nothing.

When the lever pulls closer to the grip it occurs whilst riding or stationary. When riding, so far, it has occurred at low speeds. Not sure whether this means anything.

I figured there may be a special process for bleeding ABS systems. I don't have the service manual for the 2012 model. At some point i will buy the full manual, but for now i am hoping someone can point me to where i can get the bleeding instructions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the exact same same problem
I have since contacted Honda directly after taking my bike to the dealer to test ride who provided the below reply

"Good afternoon Frank,

Thank you for your recent communication regarding your CBR1000RR.

We wish to advise that we have spoken to the service manager at Peter Stevens to discuss your concerns at length.

Peter Stevens has advised that they have test ridden the bike on several occasions to see if they could duplicate what you had described. Peter Stevens have informed us that all braking was found to be normal and that what you are experiencing are normal characteristics of ABS. If there are further concerns in the future, please address them with Peter Stevens.
"

The dealer did a full bleed, and i noticed an improvement immediately afterwards, but this was short lived. with in a couple of weeks it gradually went back to that awful unpredictable feel in the brake lever.

I am now going back to Honda and demand they look at it. I have little faith in Peter Stevens. They have overlooked problems before.

Does anyone have a similar problem or feel this is normal? :idunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have checked for physical signs of damage. Nothing.

When the lever pulls closer to the grip it occurs whilst riding or stationary. When riding, so far, it has occurred at low speeds. Not sure whether this means anything.

I figured there may be a special process for bleeding ABS systems. I don't have the service manual for the 2012 model. At some point i will buy the full manual, but for now i am hoping someone can point me to where i can get the bleeding instructions?
Frank33;

Here's a great post for bleeding C-ABS brakes.

C-ABS system bled successfully

It even has a link with the actual service manual (which you will definitely need)
I have not done it myself as it's not for the "faint at heart"
Let us know if it makes a difference
Good luck

Amnesia

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks amnesia, you are right...it's not for the faint at heart.

Honda did authorise the dealer to perform the bleeding the brakes. i had to leave it overnight, and in the morning i noticed a material improvement. But this was short lived.
I am writing to Honda again today to get a straight answer from them as to whether this is normal behavior.
Will let you know how i go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

Do let us know what you find out from Honda

I've got my fingers crossed that mine is OK. I'll also update this thread after I've had some time to test them

Amnesia

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honda tech responded to my email with the below:

"Dear Frank,

Thank you for your email.

We wish to advise that we can only recommend that the bike is taken to a dealer for inspection to see if there is a code in the system and for correct bleeding.
Our service department have advised that you can experience more lever travel when the brake system goes from normal to ABS and after heavy braking. You will need to discuss with the dealer the exact situation when this is experienced. The dealership can then contact us should they require any assistance
."

I can tell you the travel is extreme at times and not just a little. I have given up with Peter Stevens, instead i will take it to a different dealer. But this will have to wait until i return from overseas later in June.

In the meantime if anyone else wants to comment on this topic please do. Any insight or opinion is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Make sure they've had training from *HONDA* on the ABS - not many techs have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts