Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing over to water tonight and noticed my front tire cupped. Will it be ok for the trackday?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the $80, it's the time I don't have between now and Saturday to get it changed and scuffed in

·
Registered
768 Posts
I say if you have time to get a new front tire on there, you should do it. It messes up the handling a little, especially when braking while starting to lean it over. It will wiggle the bars a bit more, and feel less stable in turns. It will just be more fun with a nice round front tire. Street riding is nicer also.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have run fresh street tires (BT010s) on track without even one street mile. They were scuffed in a couple of easy laps. I did kind of scrub off the shiney stuff with soap and water first. It was not that bad to scuff them in on the track. You'll just go slow for a couple or three laps, then the bike will handle better for the whole rest of the day.

If it is not badly cupped, but more just a little scalloped, you can still run on it without much of a problem. If it's bad, it will mess with your confidence, and reduce your fun. But then, track days are so much fun, you'll be grinning ear to ear anyway.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I've never broken in tires on the street before going to the track. I always scuff at the track. At Jennings, I put on a new set at lunch on sunday, and broke them in on a wet track and didnt' have any problems...

If you are worried about having time to have it mounted, thats one thing, time to scuff it in, that should be a non-issue.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I try to get my major prep items done up to the weekend before to avoid situations like this. For my last trackday weekend, I was in the same boat anyway I changed out a cupped front the day before. The forecast said it would rain, and I thought it would be better for wet running if the front tire was not cupped. It did rain, and I was glad that I made the time to get it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts