Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for you track guru's.  After seeing pictures and video of my last track day, I noticed I was sitting almost upright with my arms rigid.  I've since tried to relax my arms and get more up over the tank and in a lower position as I ride.

Unfortunately, what was once a very stable feeling in the corners has now turned into a wobbly and bouncing ride.  I feel like every little dip or pebble in the road upsets the bike.  I know a lot of it is that my arms are no longer absorbing the shock but damn, I feel like this thing is going to throw me off.

Is there a front end suspension adjustment I can make to smooth the ride out and make the bike feel more stable in the turns?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have never been on a track and will not claim to know anything but riding on the street.
But when I make adj. like you stated, I find that by pressing down a little harder on the peg with the oppossing foot, and laying the knee harder into the tank to pull the bike over rather then just hang off, that the bike feels more stable to me.

Mind you this is under mostly Normal - slightly aggr. riding,
gotta have some fun on the 270*offramps

hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a smooth turn the bike is pretty stable. It's when I run across a dip or uneven pavement that I get the headshake. Could the front be set up too stiff, causing the rest of the bike to absorb the shock?

·
Registered
427 Posts
1. You probably could use a steering damper.

2. Have your suspension setup for your weight (i.e sag and all that).

When I first bought my 954, I had a lot a wobble when cornering at the track. That went away when I had a mechanic setup my suspension. I still don't have the steering damper though.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Jay : I have never been on a track and will not claim to know anything but riding on the street.
But when I make adj. like you stated, I find that by pressing down a little harder on the peg with the oppossing foot, and laying the knee harder into the tank to pull the bike over rather then just hang off,  that the bike feels more stable to me.
Good suggestion Jay, I struggled through turns (almost fighting that beast to turn in and stay on the line) until instructor recommended the same thing. I don't think the damper has much to do with that problem (not a bad idea to get one just in case), although I did find out my Scott's was set way too stiff, which didn't help my turn in at all, backing off helped tremendously with turn in. Suspension settings are more than likely your overall cure, if you can adjust enough with (soft) stock front forks. I'm still struggling with different settings on my stock setup, ie., compression, rebound, and preload settings. Fool around with the front compression setting and see if it helps <shrug>.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yup, get your suspension sorted out. That should make a noticeable difference. Now, if you're a big guy, you'll need to get your forks work by Dan Kyle. He'll get them set up for your weight. Best $400 I ever spent!

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
HondaGal : Yup, get your suspension sorted out.  That should make a noticeable difference.  Now, if you're a big guy, you'll need to get your forks work by Dan Kyle.  He'll get them set up for your weight.  Best $400 I ever spent!
Me too...Dan has my forks right now. Can't wait to get them back!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yes, get your suspension sorted. I have a set of DK forks and a FoxShock and my bike eats up the turns now -- smooth or uneven.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I get the point. Send the forks to Dan Kyle. In the meantime, any idea which way I need to go (softer or harder) to start with on the stock suspension? Current settings are:

1 3/4 turns out Rebound Damp.
1 1/4 turns out Compression Damp.
Two full bars showing on spring preload.

I'm 6'2' and 210, so moving up and over the tank has put a good bit more weight on the front.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Again, I'm no expert, but I would guess your compression setting seems way too soft. I have my compression set at 1/2 turn out from full in (harder). There are tons of suspension help out there on symptons and solutions, although it still gets confusing isolating symptons to rebound and compression settings. I'm sure others can help better.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Pater : Ok, I get the point.  Send the forks to Dan Kyle.  In the meantime, any idea which way I need to go (softer or harder) to start with on the stock suspension?  Current settings are:

1 3/4 turns out Rebound Damp.
1 1/4 turns out Compression Damp.
Two full bars showing on spring preload.

I'm 6'2' and 210, so moving up and over the tank has put a good bit more weight on the front.
at 210, you'll never get sag right on the front of your bike.  Get springs.  Probably .95 or so...  Maybe 1.0 if 210 is your unsuited weight...  Bottom line, at max preload with the stock springs, I doubt you are getting close to good sag.  Go max preload.

As for the damping, more is not always better.  Back way off your compression damping.  Its common knowledge that the 929/954 have too much compression damping.  When dan changes the shim stack out, you'll still have good feel but bumps won't dislodge the bike and make it jump all over the place.  Ideally, a suspension that is setup well, will provide good feel to the surface and the tires, but soaks up the bumps well enough to not allow said bumps to upset the chasis.

I'd back off the rebound too.  I don't remember how mine was on rebound...  Does it jump up too quickly when you go OFF the brakes?  If so, add more, if its about right, leave it be, or maybe take a little out and see if it helps any...

My $.02

EDIT: I just noticed you are on a 99 900. Not sure then, not familiar with that bike specifically. Also, its wobbling because the springs are too weak and they give too easily to road undulations... It keeps doing it and can't stop it because the damping thats there, can't control the spring, which is because the spring isn't enough for what you ask of it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts