Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Got a little issue Id like someones help/opinion/advice on.

When I am riding my bike feels fine. When I am coming to a stop and using my front brakes I can feel a rattle. If I hit the brakes hard it feels worse of course, my front brakes, rotors and all of that are in good working order. I am 90% sure the rattle I feel in my hands is not from the brakes, I think I may have something loose on my triple tree or possibly might need to service my forks. I have just pushed the bike over 10k mileage. Also.. If I use my rear brake only to come to a stop, I do not feel this rattle.
Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!
:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
is it a pulsation in the handle? maybe your rotors are warped...do they look like they gave gotten hot? are they glazed over like mirrors or have grooves in them? check all the mounting bolts and make sure they are snug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it a pulsation in the handle? maybe your rotors are warped...do they look like they gave gotten hot? are they glazed over like mirrors or have grooves in them? check all the mounting bolts and make sure they are snug

I have checked, The rotors dont appear warped, the pads are not glazed. I had a friend look at the rotors briefly. However; I will recheck on your advice. I really don't think its the actual braking system. I think its a reaction based on use of the front brakes. BUT like I said I will check again just to be doubly sure. I would hate to be riding and have something happen because I didnt look at something hard enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem on my 900rr..... replace your steering head bearings. Mine was a cheap and easy fix. Hope yours is the same.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
thought so. Ill order new bearings and get them installed. thank you for the tip!

Wait!

Its really easy to check them out, or at least one of them. Get the front in the air, then remove the upper triple clamp and youll see the bearing right there.

May just need some grease.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I will do that first!

Ive actually had the thing parked for a week...erk!
So was that the problem? I have the same prob with my rc51... since i did the unthinkable and let someone ride it around the block.. flipped right over on it the fork hit the ground during the 5-10mph mishap.. since then I''ve had a rattle like your talking about.. I'm hoping its the bearings in the tripple tree did u get yours fixed?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Head bearings are a cheap but not neccessarily easy job. Its fairings off, wheel out, top yoke off before you actually get to the bearings.
You'll need the bike supported securely, youll be doing some quite heavy duty hammering to get the old races out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest Im not quite sure, I had a friend ride it again just to test it.. he tightened some things (also installed my new scotts stabilizer) and the problem has gone away. Suspension is one of many areas where I am not mechanically inclined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts