Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 00 929, my fork shafts are toasted, rode it too much without doing the forks seals and bushing for lack of extra cash... So now im wonderi g what people are swapping into them? From what bikes? Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? Like just street with some wheelies and stuff or track, or what? Ik quite a few people buy 954 forks for doing stunts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The really big question was asked....what kind of riding do you do? But then there is also another big one....how much do you weigh? Just swapping the forks may not be enough. The stock fork springs in a set of 954 forks might not be enough, and you might have to go w/a heaver....or even a lighter weight spring weight. What you need to do is research that kind of stuff and find the right spring weight that works for your size/weight AND what kind of riding you do.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think you guys are reading too much into it. He has a 929 with toasted forks and wants to replace them with whatever is available to him and has the same bearings and length fork tubes.

For those with knowledge maybe suggest stuff that keeps his wheel, radial forks should be easy to space out the caliper to meet a 330 disc, if the width is right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are wanting to buy new kit or just want to pull off another bike if off another bike if stay the same model and such if ur wanting to upgrade there are many kits u can get even full sets but quite expensive

·
Registered
70 Posts
If u have adjustable triple clamps u can set ur trail to match no matter what only real problem will be width for ur calipers if ur not that mechanically inclined I would just rework what u got new seal and springs and match what u originally had and what Is toasted the springs, valves ,shaft is it possible to throw a kit in ,what's ur budget I would believe that it is probably fixable unles u warped them and prob not both warped

·
Registered
70 Posts
If u do salvage a set make sure to replace seals and change ur oil or ull be right back in the same boat
Seals and oil are a very cheap maintenance and should always be done according to ur manual make sure to check ur whole bike wheel bearing , chain ,radiator
Little things keep u from having big problems even death I always do preflight checks and weekly look overs and monthly maintenance but I ride hard everyday just about and my bike and my life are precious to me :rant:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im 6'4 250lbs.

Looking for a cheap swap, its my commuter bike, mtn roads on the weekends, some wheelies. I dont need anything special, but if there is a swap that IS a better setup, then id do it. So it looks like 954 forks are my best bet? I got a salvage place here that wants $150 for 2 forks.. Of any bike. I will get them rebuilt immediatly before putting them on the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont want to change the triple tree and all that.. Unless i have to. And i dont want to change calipers, wheel. All that.. Want a bolt on deal

·
Registered
94 Posts
The forks from the cbr 929http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/41/Year/2000/ModelID/6907/Model/CBR900RR and cbr 954 are in most respects identical, with minor differences... These differences are stiffer springs and some differences in internal valving in the later 954 forks, and different sized brake calipers... The clip-ons are also different height and angle, with the 929's somewhat higher...I believe that the calipers will still bolt up but not sure?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If u don't do mods and don't have adjustable trees then exactly what came off should go back no guess work the only thing us have to worry bout is the internals being in good shape u shouldn't need to change springs and valves for what u use it for standard should be fine if u just adjust ur tension to set ur sag on front and back then ur rebound and compression u will see it rides a lot better I'm assuming u never had it set for u and ur style of riding that is always the first thing u do when getting on ur new bike hope this helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just saw ur weight u may want to look at springs to help with ur weight most factory is preset for 180 pounds but again for what u use it for should be fine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Noone is going to say yah sure put a part not made for ur bike on there I know for sure what came off or is made for ur bike will work the rest is making something that is not work so yeah so that is about as fact as ur gonna get call the manufacturer and ask what else works I'm sure they will say what we make or something made for that bike lololol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Especially to someone who obviously has no mechanical knowledge about the part or how to make things fit that don't so fact is get what fits and use it and have a certified tech install its ur life but do what u want oh srry that's not the original poster why even say anything if that's all u have to input really wow I'm sure someone knows but obviously doesn't want to put someone's life on the line we aren't talking about rear sets or fuel mapping exhaust it's the second most important item besides tires that put u in contact with the ground a lot can go wrong modding theese parts so pls go stock sleeves and have it set for ur body weight and style as fact as I can get hope it helps maybe someone has a bolt up that fits but srry for the rant just makes me mad when someone has absolutely nothing to say but bs I thought it was pretty factual to me

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
The original 929 used a .700 kg/mm spring rate, the 954 used a slightly heavier .710 kg/mm spring. For a rider that weighs 250lbs the spring rate would be 1.066 kg/mm, considerably stiffer than stock for any manufacturer! Your best bet would be to replace your forks (whichever you choose) and have them rebuilt, at least, with new seals, fluid, and the heavier springs. You can pick up a pair of springs from Race-Tech for $130. I would also be sure to have the suspension set to your weight by a pro! You could run the stock 929 shocks that you know 100% work great with your ride and simply rebuild them adding in only the springs, this would give you a NOTICEABLY better feel on the street alone. Hopefully this helps a wee bit =)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts