Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the process of changing my sprockets and chain and i have already cut the old chain off and replaced the rear sprocket i cant get the bolt loose it just spins was i suppose to leave the chain on or what?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yes, it is easiest to loosen it with the chain still on and standing on the rear brake.
Do not wedge anything around the sprocket or you might crack the cases.
Put the old chain around the sprocket and put a long 6mm bolt through two links with a nut and a couple of washers to tie the end of the chain back to itself around the sprocket.
Then you can wrap the chain around a bar of some kind and lock it against the swingarm pivot or rear axle using another 6mm bolt through it.

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
You can alo wrap a piece of galvanized pipe (or something similar) with some cloth or an old t-shirt and wedge it between the rim and the swingarm. That will hold the back tire tight and not damage anything. The bolt should then loosen right up. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ok guys i got my hands on an impact wrench and it still wouldnt break free
Maybe it's been Loktited? It should only be 40ftlbs.
I think you're going to need to put a long bar on it but, it's only an M10 bolt so you need to be very careful not to break the bolt.
What I generally do when I find one of these is take it back to the moron that over-tightened it and ask him politely to undo the bloody thing :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
the countershaft bolts usually also have a type of lock washer on them too...i dont think ur stupid enough to miss that but just a thought...also yes the chain should always be left on when taking that off...there is a book called 101 sportbike performance projects that has a lot of useful tips for the new motorcycle mechanic...i suggest u grab one...it will help you with any project you will do on any sportbike...get one and u wont regret it...Make sure the impact wrench is set right oo because they have torque limiting settings on them which will prevent getting off a tight bolt...I really cant believe a impact wrench wont loosen it up?!?!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
the countershaft bolts usually also have a type of lock washer on them too...i dont think ur stupid enough to miss that but just a thought...also yes the chain should always be left on when taking that off...there is a book called 101 sportbike performance projects that has a lot of useful tips for the new motorcycle mechanic...i suggest u grab one...it will help you with any project you will do on any sportbike...get one and u wont regret it...Make sure the impact wrench is set right too because they have torque limiting settings on them which will prevent getting off a tight bolt...I really cant believe a impact wrench wont loosen it up?!?!
Are you reading "impact wrench" as "rattle gun"?
I read impact wrench as an impact driver (that you hit with a hammer) which I also would've thought should've cracked it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
an impact wrench is something you hook up to an air compressor and spins with the force of the air...i dont know what your talking about but that is what it is....and it should get that bolt off no prob...i dont know what wrench you are thinking of...rattle gun may be a slang for it???

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
an impact wrench is something you hook up to an air compressor and spins with the force of the air...i dont know what your talking about but that is what it is....and it should get that bolt off no prob...i dont know what wrench you are thinking of...rattle gun may be a slang for it???
I think only the US uses the term "wrench"?
I just checked Ebay and it does look like the US calls an electric or pneumatic rattle gun an impact wrench.
I wouldn't recommend using a rattle gun on an M10 bolt that should come loose at just 40ftlbs - my guess is it's either Loktited or cross-threaded. Either way a rattle gun is likely to break the bolt.

Below is an impact driver used for cracking loose tight fasteners.
LISLE 3/8 Impact Driver Tool Set w/ Bits - Nice offer! : eBay Motors (item 140380948811 end time Feb-08-10 08:37:54 PST)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Personally I would not like the idea of using impact against the gear teeth in the trans especially if the bolt is jammed or very tight some how. I would throw the old chain back on or the new chain (unless it's a 520 and won't fit) and use the rear brake method.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Personally I would not like the idea of using impact against the gear teeth in the trans especially if the bolt is jammed or very tight some how. I would throw the old chain back on or the new chain (unless it's a 520 and won't fit) and use the rear brake method.
I agree, definately the right way to do it :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
honestly i thought the same thing..that it would crack the bolt or mess something up but a buddy of mine works in a shop and they use the impact wrench on these bolts and many other ALL the time at the shop ( which is a honda certified service center )and have never messed anything up using one...even that book i mentioned says if you have one to use it...and they always tell you the things NOT to do in that book

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
honestly i thought the same thing..that it would crack the bolt or mess something up but a buddy of mine works in a shop and they use the impact wrench on these bolts and many other ALL the time at the shop ( which is a honda certified service center )and have never messed anything up using one...even that book i mentioned says if you have one to use it...and they always tell you the things NOT to do in that book
Some bikes have a huge nut on the countershaft and, just like the clutch hub nut, a rattle gun is unlikely to damage it.
An M10 bolt though that should come loose at fairly low torque, but won't, is probably not going to with a rattle gun either. If it were a 150ftlb nut then it'd be fine.
Heat may break it loose though and it's also worth trying to tighten it further.

·
Registered
824 Posts
ya my 08 has a small nut on it...probab2ly this m10 ur speaking of or similar...my 04 R6 had a BIG one...i kinda wish the cbr had a big one...seems a little more safe...but im sure honda knows what is needed

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ya my 08 has a small nut on it...probab2ly this m10 ur speaking of or similar...my 04 R6 had a BIG one...i kinda wish the cbr had a big one...seems a little more safe...but im sure honda knows what is needed
I agree, the bigger nut is a better way to do it but it's heavier and increases the rotational mass of the shaft.
The bolt doesn't take much if any load. It's purely a safety mechanism to prevent the sprocket from wandering on the shaft or coming off all together. On most I've seen the bolt usually doesn't even tighten down against the sprocket - the sprocket still floats on the shaft slightly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts