Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would keep the front prelaod adjuster from turning? anyone that has knowledge of the inner workings of 954 fork internals your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
what would keep the front prelaod adjuster from turning? anyone that has knowledge of the inner workings of 954 fork internals your help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you mean in either direction?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
yes, either direction.
My guess would be corrosion in the fork cap then.
Are they fully in or fully out or somewhere between?
All the adjuster does is increase the thickness of the fork cap so the bike sits higher above the spring.
Maybe pull them off and have a look.
Be sure to loosen the upper clamp pinch bolts before trying to loosen the fork caps though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well they were just rebuilt, by a guy that has been working on my stuff for a while. this is the first i've had any issue with his work. wanted to arm my self with a little knowledge before taking it back or even having a eureaka some thing stupid kinda fix.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
well they were just rebuilt, by a guy that has been working on my stuff for a while. this is the first i've had any issue with his work. wanted to arm my self with a little knowledge before taking it back or even having a eureaka some thing stupid kinda fix.
If they've just been built the preload would've been wound right off for disassembly.
Are the internals stock?
Definately something wrong?
I asked before, what position are they in currently?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have no idea what position they are at currently. i was in the process of zeroing out all the setting after reassembling the front end when i came to this situation. internals are stock. i thought maybe it was something i could tackle. like the stop ring or maybe the spring was upside down.. something silly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not 100% sure but i think the cap to the adjuster stays stationary as far as height off the tube nut on my forks. i tried to take a look at that in order to even them up with the side thats does actually adjust. but turning that one dosent seem to change the height of the adjuster.

btw.. thanks for your time thus far.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
im not 100% sure but i think the cap to the adjuster stays stationary as far as height off the tube nut on my forks. i tried to take a look at that in order to even them up with the side thats does actually adjust. but turning that one dosent seem to change the height of the adjuster.

btw.. thanks for your time thus far.
There's something very wrong if it doesn't change height when you turn it.
Does it bottom or top out after a number of turns or does it just keep turning endlessly?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, the one that does adjust stops. i havnt wound it to the full load stop just counter clockwise to full soft as my settings are 8 turns from full soft. i will take some pics today and post them.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
no, the one that does adjust stops. i havnt wound it to the full load stop just counter clockwise to full soft as my settings are 8 turns from full soft. i will take some pics today and post them.
Well, when you screwed it out to full soft it would've come out about 15mm above the fork cap.
I can only guess that the other one must be cross threaded which would be annoying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts