Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my front tire on my 01 929. After installing the wheel per service manual instructions, the wheel is dragging very badly. Only two things I haven't tried to remedy-one is to clean the calipers of crud and two-reverse the wheel spacers(I now have the flanged spacer on the clutch side). I've tried tightening everything exactly by the book so I can rule that out. I've also read previous articles. Any ideas folks?:huh:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yup, the flanged spacer goes on the brake side.

Also, to center everything, here's what I do when putting the wheel back on: I put the brake calipers on and the axle through, but before tightening it, I spin the wheel and hit the brakes several times. This centers the wheel with the calipers. Then I tighten the axle to spec and the brake side pinch bolts. Then I take it off the stand and bounce it a few times. Then I tighten the clutch side pinch bolts. You will have a bit of drag. As long as when you spin the wheel it'll go around 1-2 times, you're good.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Hahaha, ok, the brake LEVER side. How's that?:D
:smilebig: Better than saying the "right side" and having someone ask "Is that the right side when you're facing the bike or sitting on the bike?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I knew you'd all come through for me. Don't know how I got it switched as I laid everything out in order as I disassembled it. Maybe the kids kids decided play with dad's head! I'll swap em' when I get home from work. I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Check for a warped rotor. That happened when I switched to a GSXR front on my SV. It dragged so consistently that I was sure it couldn't be the rotor, but I pulled them off and had them dialed, and one was bent just a little in one place..

I put a straight one on, and it was fine. :idunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that responded. :) Swapped wheel spacers and all is right in the universe. What a great forum we have!:clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts