Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was away from my bike for about a month to a month and a half, today i went to put some fuel treatment in it before i went to fill it up but the lock will not turn. the key goes in all the way but it wont budge, feels like i would break my key if i kept trying. i sprayed some wd-40 into it but that didn't help at all. when i opened the tab covering the key slot there was a considerably large amount of chalky white residue in the key slot. Not sure what else to try other than wd-40, looking for suggestions or if someone else has had this problem. thanks in advance.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,332 Posts
i was away from my bike for about a month to a month and a half, today i went to put some fuel treatment in it before i went to fill it up but the lock will not turn. the key goes in all the way but it wont budge, feels like i would break my key if i kept trying. i sprayed some wd-40 into it but that didn't help at all. when i opened the tab covering the key slot there was a considerably large amount of chalky white residue in the key slot. Not sure what else to try other than wd-40, looking for suggestions or if someone else has had this problem. thanks in advance.
Try pushing down hard on the cap as you turn the key, as you do when you close it to get the key out. Maybe try a hair dryer to get some heat into the cap, no torches for obvious reasons. lol

And FYI stay away from chalky white residue in the slot......just sayin:p

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If that does not work, put on a wife beater T-shirt, take a runner mallet and give it a few whacks. Hopefully that will loosen any corrosion that's keeping it stuck, then do the push down technique and heat again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update: well after about an hour of working it back and forth with the key and using about a can of wd-40 i finally got it to open. took everything apart and hit it with some graphite lube and now it all works perfect. even before that it all looked clean and new, i guess ill just have to add the fuel cap to regular maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts