Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember a recent post where someone had the bike dynoed, and after poor results found out the bike had a dirty fuel injector. So I started thinking, should I be adding those off the shelf fuel injector cleaners (eg. STP, Gumout, etc.) to my fuel? If so, how often? How much? Do they really work? Which brand works best?

FWIW, I always use premium fuel on each fill up, but I'm not looking to stir up that topic.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I use Valvoline Synthetic cleaner in my car and bike at every oil change. You can keep it clean in-between by filling up at Chevron, since they put Techron (their variety of injector cleaner) in the fuel. I try to stick with BP stations, since they get their oil from American sources, but...to each his/her own.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stay away from cheap gas. Use quality fuel and you won't need to use injector cleaners.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anything that is marketed as fuel injector cleaner for maintenence purposes is a scam.  Use premium gas and don't worry about the injectors until there is a problem.  Got it, Hombre?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it. I've got 64,864 miles on my 929 and the majority of gas I put in it is from my local 7-11 and I only use 87 octane.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
never2old : I really wouldn't worry about it.  I've got 64,864 miles on my 929 and the majority of gas I put in it is from my local 7-11 and I only use 87 octane.
64,000 miles??? I didn't know the milometer went that high on bikes!!! How's it running with that kinda miles? Any major problems?

And going back on topic....use quality gas and you won't need cleaners. I use Shell Premium, and nothing else unless I'm out of options

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
The only concentrate I've seen that really does something is Techron. You can buy it at Pep Boys, Autozone etc. With the 929 I put in 87 octane from anywhere I could find gas. Every oil change I'd put in 1/4 bottle of Techron (full bottle is for 20 gallons). If you use premium unleaded, you really don't need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts