Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys my names Robbie and I just joined the forum!

I have a quick question, it's hot here at the moment and I noticed that fuel is dripping out of the hose that goes from inside the frame near the tank to the bottom of the bike.

Is this normal on a hot day cause of pressure or whatever?

The bike is not turned on and hasn't been all day too.

1998 CBR900RR by the way!

Cheers,
Robbie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did you just refuel the bike? I think that the gas tends to expand in the heat, and the hose is just doing it's job, bleeding off excess. Is the bike on it's sidestand when this happens?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is on its sidestand and I've done 25 kilometres on a full tank so it is relatively full. I noticed that gas was coming out too so i think you might be right about the pressure.

I hope thats the only reason though

·
Registered
737 Posts
Two other things to check are the fuel hose that attaches to the petcock/fuel valve, and the petcock itself.

The hose is prone to cracking with age, and the petcock can leak as the rubber seal wears out. Easist fix is a new hose, and for the petcock, you can seal it up with JB-Weld, or you can buy a new one.

But if the gas is coming from the bottom right side of the bike (from the fat hose), then it's likely fuel overflow. Try to leave about an 1" free air in your filler neck of the tank.

Cheers,
Sime

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I think it is the exhaust for excess gas cause its only done it today in the heat.

Offtopic question but when I check the oil level through the glass do I check it on the sidestand or when the bike is upright

This is on a 1998 CBR900RR

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
291 Posts
If the fluid that leaks smells like petrol, it's probably just the overflow. Part of the reason the overflow exists is not only because the petrol evaporates and expands et al, but if there wasn't a hole to regulate the pressure your fuel system would suck itself into a vaccume and it'd be mighty hard to open the fuel cap!

And yup, check your oil in the window but make sure the bike is level. Maybe chuck it on a race stand before taking any readings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts