Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok bike is 99 blade. around 20k miles.
I walked up to the bike the other morning before my morning commute and i noticed a small wet spot on the ground by the chain. I smelled it and its gasoline. I noticed that the fuel valve (i guess its the fuel pressure regulator also?) had fuel on the surface of it as if it was leaking out.

any ideas?

bike runs good still.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Is the 99 Fuel Injected? If it is, you may have found the problem. Not sure why it would be leaking externally though. Check for fuel in the vacuum line. Good tell tale. If that's what you mean by the fuel valve.

Be sure to check closely because if it's an external fuel leak, it's very dangerous.

·
Registered
478 Posts
99 is carburated. Not sure what to say except to check it out, is it leaking around the part that threads onto the base of the tank? Its a 99 so check out your hoses looking for dryrot/cracking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the bike is carb.
its leaking ever so slightly from the base of where the valve that selects
fuel - on - off - reserve is. now after a few days i have noticed that it does not leak when the valve is in the off position. could it possibly be a bad o ring?

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
yes the bike is carb.
its leaking ever so slightly from the base of where the valve that selects
fuel - on - off - reserve is. now after a few days i have noticed that it does not leak when the valve is in the off position. could it possibly be a bad o ring?
that sounds like the most likely cause... is there any sign of external damage?

·
Registered
900 Posts
O ring or brittle pipe, take a close look ie that they are not loose or split !!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so this is exactly where its leaking from. the petcock valve.
on the side where the knob is there is a plate that looks to be riveted onto the valve. it leaks pretty bad like a few drops every minute. Should i be looking at buying another one or can this piece be rebuilt (new orings and gaskets?)
thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im positive that its two pieces you can tell in the picture by the differences in the shades of color.
i going to try and put some gorilla glue and electrical tape around it for a temp fix till i can shell out the 40 for another used petcock valve..

·
Registered
478 Posts
im sure it is 2 or more pieces, all i meant was that its sold as one piece. If youre going to try sealing it i would go for some fuel resistant silicon, i think its black.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
im sure it is 2 or more pieces, all i meant was that its sold as one piece. If youre going to try sealing it i would go for some fuel resistant silicon, i think its black.
I used standard sanitary silicone when i fitted the high flow tap on my gixxer......

...aint leaked yet :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright well spent the afternoon removing the tank and removing the petcock.
amazingly i removed it without spilling more than a few drops of fuel!
I put a **** load of Blue sealant and finished it off with a ton of that "fuel tank" fixer crap (the putty like black tube), in a few hours im going to put it back on and see if it leaks. wish me luck!
Thanks for all the help guys!
Id buy you all a beer but shipping would be a PITA!
Cheers!

·
Registered
900 Posts
nice one, but before you put it all back together make sure the fuel flows, and that you havent blocked any inportant holes, **** load of blue sealant
:eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i exaggerated, but yeah im going to hook it all up, start it, and see if it dies or what not. but i think it should be ok.

·
Registered
378 Posts
ok so this is exactly where its leaking from. the petcock valve.
on the side where the knob is there is a plate that looks to be riveted onto the valve. it leaks pretty bad like a few drops every minute. Should i be looking at buying another one or can this piece be rebuilt (new orings and gaskets?)
thanks.
fuel petcock is not rebuildable, sounds like the seals dried out inside it. Replace it and it will solve your problem, Standard silicone gasket sealer is not gasoline resistant. It will disolve when gas hits it and can plug up your carbs, I am not sure if any type of gasket sealer is impervious to gasoline

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
on the package it says that it is fuel resistant. and i just put it on the outside of all the cracks on the petcock so hopefully it sealed up where the pieces mate up to each other.
Ive tried looking for a petcock valve online and all i can come up with is second hand ones going for 25-50 dollars... anyone know where to locate one?

·
Registered
378 Posts
on the package it says that it is fuel resistant. and i just put it on the outside of all the cracks on the petcock so hopefully it sealed up where the pieces mate up to each other.
Ive tried looking for a petcock valve online and all i can come up with is second hand ones going for 25-50 dollars... anyone know where to locate one?
Hopefully your fix will work, But here is some info for you

Search yamaha of troy, Hang on let me see if I can get you a part number and price. Here is the part number 16950-mas-023, Bad news is it is $152.66 plus shipping, List price is around $190.00
Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts