Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So my 99 900RR has been sitting for about a year and a half. The other day I fired it up as I was going to take it for a spin. Next thing I know, all I can smell is gas. I then see gas dripping from the bottom of the bike. After taking the bike apart, I discovered that the leak is at the carb.

Better yet, the fuel line comes off the tank to a "T" connection. The "T" connection has two hoses that go in between carbs 1 & 2, and 3 & 4. The connection in between the carbs can swing up and down. It's that connection in between carbs 3 & 4 that's leaking.

The manual describes it as a "Three-way fuel joint pipe", that has o-rings on either end of it and goes into carbs 3 & 4. I suspect one or both of those o-rings has gone bad.

Has anybody experienced this? Do the carbs HAVE to be separated in order to fix this part?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi guys,

So my 99 900RR has been sitting for about a year and a half. The other day I fired it up as I was going to take it for a spin. Next thing I know, all I can smell is gas. I then see gas dripping from the bottom of the bike. After taking the bike apart, I discovered that the leak is at the carb.

Better yet, the fuel line comes off the tank to a "T" connection. The "T" connection has two hoses that go in between carbs 1 & 2, and 3 & 4. The connection in between the carbs can swing up and down. It's that connection in between carbs 3 & 4 that's leaking.

The manual describes it as a "Three-way fuel joint pipe", that has o-rings on either end of it and goes into carbs 3 & 4. I suspect one or both of those o-rings has gone bad.

Has anybody experienced this? Do the carbs HAVE to be separated in order to fix this part?

Thanks.

Very common when they've been sitting dry for some time.
You need fuel-compatible o-rings and you need to seperate the carbs. I'd recommend replacing all the o-rings and hoses while you have them apart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I seem to have the same problem. I am going to try and replace the hose and see if that helps. I would rather not take the carbs apart. If I need to take the carbs apart where can I get the o rings? Would I have to re sync the carbs? And am I able to just remove the #1 carb to replace the leaking o ring?

What is weird is that when it started leaking I got a screw type hose clamp and it stopped leaking for a while but after about 10 minutes of idle it started leaking again. The hose looks good so its a bit confusing.

Please help :idunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, i have exactly the same problem with my 1997 CB400F3V. The funny thing is that the bike has been stored for two years and started leaking more than 3 months after i put it back on the road, from the very same T joint between carbs 3&4. I also thought its the hose and the actual clamps of the hose were quite lose so i put the screw ones, but when i saw this T joint is meant to tilt everything was clear to me. If you find some supplier for such parts or car rebuild kits please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fount a kit pof orings I had purchased from Harbor Freight in my garage. I matched up the rings and it seemed to work. They have been on for a few months now and no leaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts