Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Fuel problem

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  IanDoohan 
#1 ·
I have a 954 and it runs really rough at idle to about 5000 rpm n then seems to run fine as long as you keep rpms up and it’s flooding really bad I had took off breather n opened butterfly up n on num 1 there was a lot of gas sitting on the valves and then I pulled the plugs n num 1 and 4 was black and 2-3 was normal Does anybody have any idea where to start looking to fix this I’m gonna put new plugs in it but to me looks like a lot of gas to be in there from it idling before I cut it off and any help will be greatly appreciated

#9 ·
Fuel pressure regulator. Sits on the end of the fuel rail and returns excess fuel back to the tank. The fuel pump runs flat out all the time so pumps more fuel than what the engine needs most of the time. There is a vacuum control to keep constant pressure on full throttle and so on. Inside there is a diaphragm and over time it splits and leaks fuel in to the vacuum side which in turn gets in to the cylinders and in the oil too so the regulator has to be changed plus oil and filter. The same regulator fits most Fi Honda models though iirc. I have a spare ojust in case!!

#12 ·
Well I was nearly there! The end result though is when it fails you get a bad running motor and fuel in the oil - neither of which you want!

Failure is a bit like the regulator/rectifier - most people never have a problem but you only hear about the ones that do go wrong, and so some people will go on about how poor the RR is on a Honda and you should fit this or that aftermarket one, etc, even people who have never owned one yet alone had any experience of them!!

Anyway, back on topic, they are a easy fix and can be done without removing very much either. Failure won't put the MIL on although I guess the fact that the fuel mixture becomes very rich as a result then it could effect the cat. converter on USA models but not heard anything when I have read up about the problem though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.