Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit if a tight wad. Don't mind paying $300 for a service, but the major service (12 km) is $800+ and a lot of dosh. I wanted to ask how vital it is to have the full major service done at each 12km as recomended in the manual. What impact would it have if I only did major service every 24km?

I don't race the bike very often i.e.not used all that hard.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is there something in the service schedule that you cannot do yourself? I plan on doing all of my routine maintenance on my 08 CBR1000RR, including adjusting the valves. I have a service manual and it's fairly easy to follow.

It'll probably take me three times longer than a shop would to do the work but I should save a lot of money. Plus, when I do it I will take the time to make sure everything is exactly right and not just "within specs". I sometimes don't trust these shops who get more money if they can get more bikes out the door faster each day.

Anyway, get a manual and save yourself some money. Keep all receipts of everything you bought for any warranty claims.

·
Registered
824 Posts
same here...everything except the valves...im sure they can be done with some time but id rather just let the mechanic handle that.. plus i dont have the shims..literally everything else can be done with ease...i dont understand these guys that pay $100 for an oil change and a check up on a new moto...just save the recipts like someone else said and your good to go..

·
Registered
824 Posts
you could need a number of different sizes of shims so you would need to buy an entire kit which would cost a good hunk of change...Its so much cheaper to just have a good mechanic do it for $200, which is what my guy charges me..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - lots of useful ideas.

What if I just didn;t check the valve clearances? How often do they actually need adjusting, and if they are out of alignment and you keep running the bike what sort of damage might occur?

Cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
not sure what that link is for...

point was valve adj. can require multiple shims of different thiknesses, and unless you work in a bike shop that has that... it's not necessarily economical to do it yourself.

easy enough to check as you simply rotate the crank to the proper position and ck clearance with a feeler guage. but adj. them requires you have the right shim for each valve out of tolerance.

Thanks guys - lots of useful ideas.

What if I just didn;t check the valve clearances? How often do they actually need adjusting, and if they are out of alignment and you keep running the bike what sort of damage might occur?

Cheers
too loose or too tight of clearances can cause excessive wear; too tight and you can lose performance and fuel economy as the valve won't close properly. you could also burn valves. too loose and and you lose performance because they don't open fully, and they become excessively noisy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ahh.. appreciate it... reading back my reply was short and not very explanatory ;)

but you kind of need an assortment... it's not that they're THAT expensive (around $5 ea), and you can buy them from any honda dealer, but you will likely need multiple shims and you just don't know which you'll need out of the dozens of different thicknesses...

i suppose you could measure the clearances ahead of time, then calculate which ones you will need and order/purchase them..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where do you get the shims?
I've seen complete shim kits online. I plan on taking readings and then writing down what I need and buy individual shims from a local dealer if they don't try to rape me like they do with oil filters. Otherwise, I'll just order them online and wait a few days.

I don't need to ride everyday. I've been sitting around most of the winter anyway, waiting for the snow to melt and the sub freezing temps to go away.

·
Registered
297 Posts
its not worth the hassle...find a mechanic you TRUST and let him do it...i do EVERYTHING ELSE on my bike.. except adjust valves...
Im the same do regular 6000km service then when the valves need doing i take it to my local mech who i do trust and he does a great job....and also gives the bike a good going over to make sure all is ok..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.