Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fun ride today. I had a track day earlier this week and I didn't get to use the race fuel(U4) I had. So I took my
954 out for a ride with some friends to burn up the fuel. Man, it was a blast. We went down some of the twisty canyon
roads near my house. My bike already pulls like a train but the race fuel gave it an added punch. I was traveling
at a considerable speed cracked open the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. In fact it was
hard keeping the front wheel down in general. I would power out of a turn and the front wheel would lift. I would
open it up down a straight and when the htev opened up the bike would jump, the front wheel would come up a bit
and I would get a huge grin on my face. And I have stock gearing/sprockets. I can't imagine what it would have
been like if I had gearing setup for increased torque. I can see why some folks use racing fuel almost exclusively
but at $10 per gallon it is definitely cost prohibative. Plus, I would imagine an engine would burn out sooner
if always running racing fuel. I still have some fuel left in the tank and will finish it off tomorrow. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Yep, race fuel..........for that extra 1 or 2 hp you might get on a bike thats not tuned for it. What a waste of good race gas....

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
SpikedLemon said:
Unless you have oxiginated race fuel; your fuel will actually give you less performance. And FYI my 929 will lift the front end w/ plain old 87 octane pump gas.
U4 is oxygenated, and is not high octane like race fuel, its MON is only 92.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ConqSoft said:
'preciate the favorable PR you're doing out there in the name of sportbike riders. :thumb: :rolleyes:

Take that shit to the track.
I do.

But you have no idea where I road or if there were even cars around when I was riding. So as far PR work for sportbikers you really haven't got a clue what I was doing or how I was riding in public view.

And my bike was tuned to run race fuel and hence the reason it was a blast to ride. I wouldn't say it was a big change over 91 octane gasoline but it was noticeable none the less. So if you have some extra $$...you only live once.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
jaim said:
I do.

But you have no idea where I road or if there were even cars around when I was riding. So as far PR work for sportbikers you really haven't got a clue what I was doing or how I was riding in public view.

And my bike was tuned to run race fuel and hence the reason it was a blast to ride. I wouldn't say it was a big change over 91 octane gasoline but it was noticeable none the less. So if you have some extra $$...you only live once.
Oh, so you had the roads blocked off by the police, so you had no chance of coming across another vehicle/person? :rolleyes: Riiiiight....

·
Registered
502 Posts
jaim said:
I do.

I know what roads you're talking about, and they are as likely to have traffic as any other twisty road in America (I've ridden many from the west coast to the east coast), so don't think for a minute that you're the only one in your area who uses them. Be aware, stay within your limits and the limits of your environment, so we don't have to read about heavy police targeting a favorite road of ours because of rabid riders, or your obituary in the paper.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Oh, so you had the roads blocked off by the police, so you had no chance of coming across another vehicle/person? :rolleyes: Riiiiight....
\

Conq, you make it sound like you've never sped in your life!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Conq I think you're taking it the wrong way. it sounds to me like he wasn't doing wheelies on purpose and he was riding within his limits and the only way a crash might occur is either someone crosses into his lane or there's some debris in the road but those can both lead to crashes going 10 miles under the limit. you can't really expect everyone to never go over the speed limit. he never said he was excessively speeding (although I do think he probably was which isn't good, I doubt that these twisties have such a high speed limit that you really get the bike going, I can run up to 77mph in first gear with stock gearing and regular pump gas) so I do see where you can have some issue with how he was riding but its gonna happen. so the best we can hope for is for it to be done as safe as possible and the atleast keep the big speeds to the straights.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
I was traveling
at a considerable speed cracked open the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. In fact it was
hard keeping the front wheel down in general. I would power out of a turn and the front wheel would lift. I would
open it up down a straight and when the htev opened up the bike would jump, the front wheel would come up a bit
Nothing safe about that on the street at all. It's not him I'm worried about. It's the poor fucker(s) he takes out while being an ass.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Nothing safe about that on the street at all. It's not him I'm worried about. It's the poor fucker(s) he takes out while being an ass.
I do agree with that. but going fast doesn't always have to be unsafe. if there are no crossroads and he stays in his lane and doesn't rear end someone then he should be ok. as long as he doesn't crash and go flying into someone. there's always gonna be some circumstances where something bad might happen but bad stuff can happen at any time at any speed. you could be running down an empty sidewalk and trip and fling something into the road that a car swerves to avoide and they crash (I know thats a little far fetched but its possible). shit can happen any time anywhere, you take your chances.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Bacchus said:
Tread lightly, little one. :eek:

Haha! I called someone "little one". Never been able to do that before. :p
HA!

Conq - A while back didnt you post pics of your GPS where you went over the speed limit? I think it was 80-something and as far as I know, the highest speed limit in the states is 75 mph.

either way, I still love ya. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.