Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Interesting story worth a read. (and subsequent verification)

But is this really "further erosion of the 1st amendment" or just an inflammatory thread title ... :huh:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Sucks. Seems pretty stupid absolutly no common sense from the other passengers, feds, and especially Jet blue. I would have expected more from the feds and the way they talked to him. not very profesional. trying to threaten him.

I do believe we should do dome type of profiling it is just stupid not to but if the person checks out after the secoundary screening let them be.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

But is this really "further erosion of the 1st amendment" or just an inflammatory thread title ... :huh:
If government agents are approaching you tell you to remove your shirt because it is in Arabic, woulnd't you call that a violation of your 1st Ammendment right to free speech? People are saying it was offensive... OK, well part of free speech is having the stomach to deal with what others may be saying that you may not want to hear.

If it was the JetBlue employee stating that the Airline was going to refuse service, that is their right as far as I know. If they wanted to work it out between the customer and themselves, fine. In fact, it would seem that the JetBlue employee was doing a stand-up job in that regard.

As soon as they have the government doing it for them, we have a problem.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

The first amendment protects inflammatory thread titles, you fascist moderator.

:evilaugh:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
If government agents are approaching you tell you to remove your shirt because it is in Arabic, woulnd't you call that a violation of your 1st Ammendment right to free speech? People are saying it was offensive... OK, well part of free speech is having the stomach to deal with what others may be saying that you may not want to hear.
Yes, a violation, but that's not what you called it... ;)

You called it an "erosion", and as we both know, that's two different things. I get your whole "defender of the constitution" persona thing...but in this case, being inflammatory doesn't really serve your cause to bring debate to the issue does it... :idunno:

As an aside, I'm having trouble veryifying this story. Any help would be appreciated. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The first amendment protects inflammatory thread titles, you fascist moderator.

:evilaugh:

Hmm, pretty big words for a guy from Ann Arbor. :rotfl: :wstupid:

Actually, if you had a giant F_ck You on your T-shirt the reaction would be similar. It is unfortunate that Arabic script would create such a fuss, but it is just an unfortunate sign of the times.

The actions of the airport personnel do sound reasonable, they did purchase a new T-shirt for him, and he could probably have not taken and gotten his money back from the flight if he was bothered that much. Many people have made far greater sacrifices to protect freedoms like our first ammendment rights :patriot:

Besides, what do you get when you cross and Arab with a camel?

You don't get anything. There are some things a camel just won't do.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
If government agents are approaching you tell you to remove your shirt
I'm still skeptical that this happened as described, but I'll suspend my doubt momentarily for the sake of argument... :p

Where did he state that the "men" were government agents?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, a violation, but that's not what you called it... ;)

You called it an "erosion", and as we both know, that's two different things. I get your whole "defender of the constitution" persona thing...but in this case, being inflammatory doesn't really serve your cause to bring debate to the issue does it... :idunno:
I would think that this is one violation in a process of erosion. Does that sound OK? The thread title does say Futher Erosion. Erosion happens over time.

OK, enough with the "did he use the right word" deal.

Oh, and by the way, I am not sure what my "Defender of the Constitution Persona Thing" is, I just happen to have a strong opinion that the government has no right being involved with my business, and has limited powers to that effect. These powers and limits are defined in the Constitution, and I don't like it when the government steps on them.

As an aside, I'm having trouble veryifying this story. Any help would be appreciated. :thumb:
I too have been looking for further proof. He did an interview on Democracy Now, where he mentions the ACLU is working on it for him. However, the ACLU doesn't mention it on their site. Mr. Jarrar also says he does not know exactly who the "government agents" were, although he says he has their badge numbers. Every badge I have seen has a title on there, such as "Los Angeles Police Department" or "U.S. Marshal". So I don't know what to make of that.

It could also be that the ACLU is preparing a case and doesn't want to talk about it yet, which could also be why we haven't seen anything else about it, as the ACLU lawyers may have told him not to speak to anyone about it until they file the suit.

JetBlue has nothing on their press releases page, but why would they?

But these are all theories in my little mind... who knows what is really going on.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
It sucks to be an Arab/Muslim living in the US these days. When you go to the middle east, you are a US tax-payer destroying people's houses with your money, and when you come back to the US, you are a suspected terrorist and plane hijacker.
Here is a list of heroes to thank for that:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Press Release

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I would think that this is one violation in a process of erosion. Does that sound OK? The thread title does say Futher Erosion. Erosion happens over time.
OK, enough with the "did he use the right word" deal.
Not so fast...there's a nuance there that you understand very well or you wouldn't have worded the title the way you did... :p
The story you linked (if it is true) is an example of someone's rights being violated. If the story had been about a court ruling upholding the alleged actions, then that would have been an erosion of the 1st amendment.

I'm just pointing out that while I think a lot of people (present company included) enjoy your inciteful opinions, it doesn't serve you well to sensationalize.... :idunno: You are quite capable of stirring thought and discourse without shouting fire in a crowded movie theater... :twocents:

Oh, and by the way, I am not sure what my "Defender of the Constitution Persona Thing" is, I just happen to have a strong opinion that the government has no right being involved with my business, and has limited powers to that effect. These powers and limits are defined in the Constitution, and I don't like it when the government steps on them.
I think a good percentage of people agree with that....however the story you link does not provide a good example that the government did any such thing.

I too have been looking for further proof. He did an interview on Democracy Now, where he mentions the ACLU is working on it for him. However, the ACLU doesn't mention it on their site. Mr. Jarrar also says he does not know exactly who the "government agents" were, although he says he has their badge numbers. Every badge I have seen has a title on there, such as "Los Angeles Police Department" or "U.S. Marshal". So I don't know what to make of that.

It could also be that the ACLU is preparing a case and doesn't want to talk about it yet, which could also be why we haven't seen anything else about it, as the ACLU lawyers may have told him not to speak to anyone about it until they file the suit.

JetBlue has nothing on their press releases page, but why would they?

But these are all theories in my little mind... who knows what is really going on.
My bet is on BS until I see it verified... Read his stuff, this guy has an axe to grind and I don't see a single scrap of news that supports this story.... :idunno:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Wonder how he would of felt with some one wearing, "Ragheads fight for your own freedom or, suffer from your own weakness". With a pic of a mass grave and a pic of Saddam on the back. Bet he would have found that offensive. :idunno:

IMO, just bad judgement on the dudes part.

·
Registered
637 Posts
IMO, just bad judgement on the dudes part.
I agree it's bad judgement on his part, only to the extent that he was wearign a bi-lingual political statement to the wrong kind of dancehall. Had it not been political in nature or without an English translation, I wonder if anyone would have noticed or cared. Whomever the officials were that were involved in the encounter they seemed very agreeable given the foolishness they were presented. It wasn't a matter of "people are scared of you so you're not getting on a plane at all", but somehow "people are scared of you wearing that shirt so if you change it at OUR expense there won't be a problem here".
While I've agreed that it's poor judgement (to some extent) on his part, the damands/complaints by passengers is quite rediculous in and of itself and the changing of a shirt as a result is just as laughable and completely superficial. People are oversensitive and looking to be offended or insulted by anything they can cross-associate in their psyche. It's a choice (to be offended), and a poor one at that.

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
"It sucks to be an Arab/Muslim living in the US these days. When you go to the middle east, you are a US tax-payer destroying people's houses with your money, and when you come back to the US, you are a suspected terrorist and plane hijacker."

A quote from the "offended" Arab gentleman. I have one thing to say.....STAND UP AND DO SOMETHING YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES. Instead of sitting on your hands and saying NOTHING as Muslim extremists HIJACK your religion you cowards. DO SOMETHING and people won't terrorized by your shirt or your ethnic background. Stand up and say "AS REAL MUSLIMS - WE CONDEMN THE ACTIONS OF FANATICS THAT ARE HIJACKING OUR RELIGION - WE WILL NOT TOLERATE IT AND WE WILL TRY TO STOP IT". Instead - they sit on their asses. Know why?? Because they secretly want it to happen!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
If that's real, it's outrageous.

Anyone complaining or afraid of someone wearing a shirt that says "We will not be silent" in Arabic is a cowardly pussy.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts