Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, the simplest install is driving me up a wall. I installed the Galfer lines yesterday and the thing that's bugging me is the left side line. These Galfer line ends are angled, no big deal - right side fits perfect, but the left side is spiraled (?) or cork screwed (?) in order to fit the angled line to the caliper and master cylinder.

It is definitaly not like Fire929Blade's pic.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1365

I feel like an idiot with these questions, but am I doing something wrong or did I receive a backwards ended Galfer line? Not sure how to explain this, but the left line (the longer of the two) leaving the master cylinder is in a shape of a cork screwed 'S' before attaching to the caliper. If I try turning it around it just spirals the other way. This just doesn't look right - AAARRRGGGG!!!!! Anyone with some thoughts? I'm going to search some more for install pics. Like I said before, I can't believe something so simple can be so frustrating.

Thanks (as always) :crap:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I never installed them on a 929 but I helped a firend install a set on his F4i.

The bends in the lines on his bike were only on 1 side of both lines (at the connectors). Those bends were to help clear the master cylinder res. I am not sure if its the same as the F4i but if it is the bends go up top.

Good luck
Tom

·
Registered
705 Posts
What he said, try flipping them and see if that works better. Or do you mean that the line is 'twisted' when you get both ends in place and go to tighten them? If that's the case, the fittings might be off from where they should be. If they put a lot of stress on the lines, I'd exchange them. I just put Spieglers on mine, and they have adjustable fittings, line 'em real nice! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I have Galfers, and they weren't spiralled as you describe...the left one went on the same as the right. No twisting. On mine, I think the angle of the banjos on the end was the same on both ends. If it's that all twisted up, I think I'd look into getting it replaced.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, the (2) lines are angled at both ends. The only difference betwen the two is the left line is about 2" longer (as is the stock lines).

I tried reversing the angle with no luck. The package was opened when I received it because I asked to have the bleeder type master cylinder banjo bolt. I'm soooo freaking frustrated, as it seems I may have to send yet another product back in exchange for the correct one. This is getting real old.

I've tried every logical thing I can think of (not really awhole lot of choices) but it just doesn't look right or feel right as I'm sure the line is not going to like even more stress when turned back and forth.

Anyone else with pics?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HondaGalToo said:
I have Galfers, and they weren't spiralled as you describe...the left one went on the same as the right. No twisting. On mine, I think the angle of the banjos on the end was the same on both ends. If it's that all twisted up, I think I'd look into getting it replaced.
Same here, if you lay them next to each other the angles at both ends are the same, and straight. The twisting comes in to fit the angled end (just like the right side) on the left caliper (clutch side).

I'm having a buddy bring his digital camera to show some pics.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The ones I got from DK did not have a "corkscrew" on one of the left line. The left and right one looked the same except for the left one being a bit longer like you pointed out. My install went without problems except for the right banjo/end of the line touching the front fender a bit.. I don't like that at all, but sending the lines back to the US is not an option :)

Good luck with your lines and the install :thumb:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fire929blade said:
The ones I got from DK did not have a "corkscrew" on one of the left line. The left and right one looked the same except for the left one being a bit longer like you pointed out. My install went without problems except for the right banjo/end of the line touching the front fender a bit.. I don't like that at all, but sending the lines back to the US is not an option :)

Good luck with your lines and the install :thumb:
Just to clarify, the line doesn't have the cork screw shape until I have to twist it in order to install it on the left caliper, that's what ends up giving it the corkscrew shape.

Did both your Galfer lines have angled ends?

Edit: I'm going to verify the part number on the brake line kit, for some reason everytime I order something they ask if it's for my RC51?!? CRG lever, AFAM sprockets, etc. Need to verify this is for a 929.

·
Registered
692 Posts
SuperDave said:
Just to clarify, the line doesn't have the cork screw shape until I have to twist it in order to install it on the left caliper, that's what ends up giving it the corkscrew shape.

Did both your Galfer lines have angled ends?

Edit: I'm going to verify the part number on the brake line kit, for some reason everytime I order something they ask if it's for my RC51?!? CRG lever, AFAM sprockets, etc. Need to verify this is for a 929.
I didn't understand what you meant before I read this post... I thought you meant that the fittings were shaped like a corkscrew :) I think both my lines had angled ends, but there was more of an angle on the end that I connected to the master cylinder. I can take some more pics tomorow that might make things a bit easier to understand.. My english isn't good enough to explain everything.. I have the part number on the plastic box my lines came in as well.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks so much Fire929, I appreciated those pics and that's what I expected to see. Here's the story...(very long read)

So I get home and I'm staring at these lines. One line looks normal and one line looks all twisted. So I'm telling myself THINK LOGICALLY, there has to be a reason for this. Then it came me (pretty simple actually), I removed both lines (again! ) and this time I laid them on the floor and inspected the angles of both ends and of both lines. WTF! The left line end connector is 180 degrees backwards of the other end angle. Now it starts to make sense, both lines would have to have the same angle since they're both the same angles on the calipers and the master cylinder, if one is 180 degrees backwards you would have to twist the entire line in order for it to line up - hence corkscrew shape.

I'll end this by stating if someone else were to install SS lines and one or both ends are curling like a pig's tail - the angle(s) on the ends are 180 degrees backwards. How you fix it is up to you, or leave it.

Edit: I edited my long rant to make this more of an informational thread versus a product or vender review.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm all calm now and have edited my previous rant :smilebig:

My new Galfer lines came in last night and I installed them in about 15 minutes. I'm pleased that the angled ends are the same and the install looks good (similar to the pics you guys posted). Thanks for those reassuring my thoughts that the initial install was not right.

The only difference in the Galfer lines I have now, is that original kit I had was the red colored lines and the new ones are of the clear variety (same angle on all ends).

Thanks for the help

PS - The only concern I have is that I may try and adjust the line/fitting a little because it is kind of tight against the fender near the caliper mounting. I don't want to take a chance of having the front fender crack (seem to recall older thread(s) about that). Other than that I've bled the new system and I'm ready to try these out!

·
Registered
692 Posts
SuperDave said:
I'm all calm now and have edited my previous rant :smilebig:

My new Galfer lines came in last night and I installed them in about 15 minutes. I'm pleased that the angled ends are the same and the install looks good (similar to the pics you guys posted). Thanks for those reassuring my thoughts that the initial install was not right.

The only difference in the Galfer lines I have now, is that original kit I had was the red colored lines and the new ones are of the clear variety (same angle on all ends).

Thanks for the help

PS - The only concern I have is that I may try and adjust the line/fitting a little because it is kind of tight against the fender near the caliper mounting. I don't want to take a chance of having the front fender crack (seem to recall older thread(s) about that). Other than that I've bled the new system and I'm ready to try these out!
I'm glad to hear everything worked out once you got the right parts :thumb:
I have the same clearance issue on the right side... I think I will take a small file and taka away some of the cast "blob" on the right caliper to allow the fitting to swing a bit more to the right. Not sure bending the fitting is a good thing to do. :idunno:

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fire929blade said:
I have the same clearance issue on the right side... I think I will take a small file and taka away some of the cast "blob" on the right caliper to allow the fitting to swing a bit more to the right. Not sure bending the fitting is a good thing to do. :idunno:

You guys with your fancy smanchy cameras - LOL. Yea, that's exactly what I'm talking about (pics). Man, your right there with the pics. No, I'm not going to bend anything. I was thinking more of loosening and retightening with something lodged between that caliper knub and line so that the line doesn't automatically twist towards the fender while tightening.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The right brake line fitting twists clockwise when tightened at the caliper.. That means outwards from the fender on my bike.. :D removing a bit of the "blob" with hand tools (file) won't hurt anything me thinks.. I' will try to find a matching gold paint to seal the wound in the caliper to avoid corrosion/peeling of paint.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm coming into this a little late but are you guys saying that the lines are angled at both ends? I just got a set from Kneedraggers and mine are angled only on one end. Also I got one for the rear and it looks awfully short. Anyone have any pictures of that. Last thing.... if mine are correct is the angle end going on the caliper side or the master cylinder side?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Fire929blade said:

That's what I had to do with mine as well. Just on the right side. Filling the caliper "blob" hasn't caused any problems since that blob is just there as a stop when you tighten it.

Someone should put this info into the KB...about laying the lines out on the floor and how you did and figured why it was twisty after you installed them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'll be putting these on my bike in the next week or so, maybe I can do a writeup.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts