Discussion Starter #1
who has epoxied or painted theirs?

what did you use and what problems have you had

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Good ? bubba, I'm curious also.

No, not curious like that.

Friend of mine did not use an epoxy and is kicking himself. Although he did epoxy his dealership and it is SWEET. I have seen commercial 1' x 1' tiles used with decent results.

Race Deck and Kiwi Tiles look good but are probably expensive when compared to epoxy. Although they can be taken with you should you move and can be lifted for cleaning underneath. Gladiator Garage Works (Whirlpool), a NASCRAP sponsor, is selling their garage tiles through SEARS. I have not priced them but I would expect/hope that they would be cheaper than Race Deck and others. And Hopefully of equal quality.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My friend and I did some research on this subject, as he was moving into a new house. To do a really good job with the epoxy you're looking at 3-stage system if not more depending on the brand you go with (we looked at Behr, Home Depot). Too much work for a garage he thought. We ended up using an etcher and a transparent concrete sealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just painted mine. Used a muratic acid wash to clean and etch the surface a little. Then primed and painted with Sherwin Williams floor paint. Looks as good as a garage floor should. Actually it came out nice, and wasn't that labor intensive.

·
Registered
328 Posts
sasakzootoo said:
I just painted mine. Used a muratic acid wash to clean and etch the surface a little. Then primed and painted with Sherwin Williams floor paint. Looks as good as a garage floor should. Actually it came out nice, and wasn't that labor intensive.
What was the total time involved? I was just curious how long you had to have your vehicles and other stuff out of the garage. I know with the epoxy stuff, it has a substantial drying time.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
pdx954 said:
What was the total time involved? I was just curious how long you had to have your vehicles and other stuff out of the garage. I know with the epoxy stuff, it has a substantial drying time.

I was reading a thread on 600rr.net and if I am not mistaken, drying time was like one week.

I like the looks of this RaceDeck. And the commercial tile look just OK. Epoxy pic added but its tough to get a real good idea.

Link to 600rr.net thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
freq said:
I was reading a thread on 600rr.net and if I am not mistaken, drying time was like one week.

I like the looks of this RaceDeck. And the commercial tile look just OK. Epoxy pic added but its tough to get a real good idea.

Link to 600rr.net thread.
I really like the look of those RaceDeck tiles. Don't you have to glue those down? (probably a stupid question)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
RRWANTR said:
My body just epoxied his a day or two ago. I'll ask him how it went. Here's a pic.
That had to be a lot of work to do the large squares in epoxy like that.

IMHO, checkerboards patterns are a bit much. His doorway curtain has got to go.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got a catalog in the mail and it had the floor paint, but you have to etch it first - it is a german company and they have been doing it for 10 years, stating the paint is bettter than the epoxy and it will not come up from the tire heat if done as per their instructions

here is the link for the prep http://www.carnaubawax.com/pdfs/90011_90013.pdf

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sasakzootoo

it seems like the etching would be the hardest part. did you rent a floor buffer to do it?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I like the checkerboard.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
sasakzootoo said:

Long term durability will be an interesting concern.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
All that crap is not alot more than garage candy IMHO. The moto-friend I know who's got a garage with a painted floor hates it now. He spent big bucks on prep followed by special concrete paint which would supposedly last forever, but he has to either repaint about once every spring or put up with the eyesore of flaking and peeling in the high traffic areas. Plus, it's slick as hell - dangerously so with the most tiny bit of dust or whatnot on the surface.

I'll keep mine plain old concrete thankyaverymuch, and purge it of dirt and debris every couple of days with my gas powered leaf blower.

FWIW

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Chain,

I have seen some really sweet shop floors that take an absolute beating on a daily basis. My favorite HONDA dealership for instance. That floor was epoxied (with the good stuff) and looks awesome. :cool:

Let's talk about exhaust candy. Nothing more than eye and ear candy if you ask me. :nono:

Respectfully,

freq

1 - 20 of 31 Posts