Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting hot. A few months ago it was too cold to work on the bikes. I need to fix that limitation.

I have a 2 car garage with a high ceiling. I'd like to suspend a portable AC/ heat unit from the ceiling. While I'm at it, I'd like to make provisions for suspending a motorcycle from the ceiling to get it to standing height- would do wonders for my back and I won't need an expensive stand.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for this, as you guys in this board seem to be adept at engineered solutions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Attached or detached garage? Is the garage already insulated with drywall and adequate roof ridge vents btw?

You got me on the "suspended" odds & ends but if you poke around over on the garagejournal message board forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas or other people who may have tackled such projects. Lots of pictures and write-ups/builds on that site about all sorts of garage upgrades, toys, gadgets, etc.

FWIW you could also just pick up one of those red colored (sub $300) motorcycle lifts from harbor freight if you need to get the bike up off of the ground to help save your back in the interim.

G'luck !

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,352 Posts
I can't really suggest any heating or cooling ideas (although I would love to get some of each into my garage as well as insulation), but I have suspended the bikes in a few ways to get things done PRIOR to getting the Harbor Freight lift, which I have ZERO complaints with. I suspended the frame of RRX while working on the engine:

Simple 4 points with tie downs in eye bolts into braced sections of the ceiling.

But the lift is awesome ($299 with coupon), and would still work with the same set up:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Attached or detached garage? Is the garage already insulated with drywall and adequate roof ridge vents btw?

You got me on the "suspended" odds & ends but if you poke around over on the garagejournal message board forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas or other people who may have tackled such projects. Lots of pictures and write-ups/builds on that site about all sorts of garage upgrades, toys, gadgets, etc.

FWIW you could also just pick up one of those red colored (sub $300) motorcycle lifts from harbor freight if you need to get the bike up off of the ground to help save your back in the interim.

G'luck !
The garage is attached and serves as an access to an attic section. A small section of the garage is underneath my master bedroom. Unfortunately (?) the outside wall doesn't appear to be insulated but I could be mistaken.

I will see if I can find that site. But I have no concerns about a suspended bike from a proper brace system.

I'd like to go back to parking cars in the garage, it's been a workshop for nearly a year!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I can't really suggest any heating or cooling ideas (although I would love to get some of each into my garage as well as insulation), but I have suspended the bikes in a few ways to get things done PRIOR to getting the Harbor Freight lift, which I have ZERO complaints with. I suspended the frame of RRX while working on the engine:

Simple 4 points with tie downs in eye bolts into braced sections of the ceiling.

But the lift is awesome ($299 with coupon), and would still work with the same set up:

Thanks for testing it out for me, I've been thinking about getting one, but as any of us who use Harbor Freight knows, it's hit and miss. Same reason I've held off buying a compressor big enough to run my blaster from them. Haven't had too many problems with their stuff, first electric impact wouldn't bust the lug nuts on my truck loose, but I took it back and the second one hasn't let me down in a few years. Do you always keep a pair of sneakers handy in the garage next to your gas cans?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,352 Posts
Thanks for testing it out for me, I've been thinking about getting one, but as any of us who use Harbor Freight knows, it's hit and miss. Same reason I've held off buying a compressor big enough to run my blaster from them. Haven't had too many problems with their stuff, first electric impact wouldn't bust the lug nuts on my truck loose, but I took it back and the second one hasn't let me down in a few years. Do you always keep a pair of sneakers handy in the garage next to your gas cans?
The lift is great. I've also gotten some questionable stuff from them, but this seems to be well built. For the coupon price you can't touch it. The wheel chock is weak, but for my sub 400lbs RR's it's more than adequate. I just love having the metal work place when doing oil changes as it cleans up very easily, and of course saves the knees and back having them up off the ground.

I wear a size 8.5 on a good day. That clod hopper belongs to my 15yo, size gigantor (probably an 11), and they love cluttering up my favorite space in the house.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broken links have significantly devalued this thread :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts