Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Fireblade offers very few good positions for mounting a GPS. I have not been able to find any good solution with the mounting fittings which were delivered with the GPS, so I have designed and built my own mounting bracket and written a "Do It Yourself" article which might inspire others.

Please feel free to comment and/or tell about your own solutions.

Regards ... Fred :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Looks awesome, I will be getting a GPS here in the next few days so I will definitely be making something to fit it safely to my bike. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Great job!
just remember keep your eyes on whats in front of you:thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great job!
just remember keep your eyes on whats in front of you:thumb:
I promish I will try to keep my eyes on the road jkobflys. :cycle:

A severe problem here is however, that the Garmin GPS repeatedly steels my attention with various kinds of warnings about keeping my attention on the road - AND - requirering me to confirm this by pressing my thumb on a little OK-button on the screen !!!!!! :loony:

I'm sure that some day that will be the death of some sorry driver , so why did Garmin implement this nonsence ? Is it to avoid being sued in case of accidents. Maybe, but then they can be sued for deliberately steeling our attention - can't they? :deal: That is - if there is a survivor to file it. :eek:

Redards ... Fred

·
Registered
228 Posts
I must say FireBladerDk, what a great job for your input and showing some of us the light on how to go about something like this. I'm considering making my 06 a track bike and stepping up to an 09 or waiting til the 2010 model for street. You are definitely receiving kudos from this guy!:thumb: Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks BALDGONZO :)

Can't you just use your standard street bike on the track. Here in Denmark where we have more than 200% tax on street bikes, there is quite a difference, but I thought the difference is much smaller in the States. Or is it a technical issue?

Regards ... Fred (ignorant with respect to track bikes)

·
Registered
228 Posts
In the state I live in I had to pay a 9% sales tax, as one would on any other purchase.

I don't race, I just am hooked on track days, so far. It's just a hassle dealing with tires, taping up the plastic, suspension set up, etc. I also use my bike as a touring bike, I have raised bars, wide mirrors, plush seat, tank, tail and saddle bags. Some say it looks funny and that I shouldn't use the bike like this, but I really don't want to ride a Honda Lead Wing!

I hear Denmark is a wonderful country, my wife went there with her friend from there before we were married. I've met allot of people visiting from there through a good friend that was born a raised there. I've been to quite a few party's, smorgas boards... Aquavit!:alcohol:

Take care.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... 9% sales tax ... raised bars, wide mirrors, plush seat, tank, tail and saddle bags. Some say it looks funny .... Denmark is a wonderful country
...smorgas boards... Aquavit!:alcohol:
9% sales tax :rotfl: . We pay >200% plus 25% sales tax :( but yes Denmark is a wonderfull country, maybe because we have "smoerrebroed" og "snaps" here.
Your spelling were closer to the Swedish words :plus1:

... Fred

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yea, I've been meaning to post it but have been to lazy to bother with it.

I used to spend allot of time on this website on the political side of things but kind of got sick of it. Therefor I'm not going to respond to the 200000% sales tax thing. You can look into my past threads if you want.

The bottom line is the knowhow you have recently shared with everyone mounting your GPS on your 08 blade, is what this website is what it's all about.

I believe your thread may inspire (fireblades.org) people. You know there are blade members reading this; I am appalled there hasn't been more people, administrators, moderators,etc; bringing your thread front page.

Take care and thanks again FireBladerDk

BALDGONZO

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I just got the ball (RAM RAM-HB1 ) and mounted in on my clutch lever for the '04. Put it in a similar location. :idunno:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have also got the Garmin fitting for stearing mount, and also a ball for the stearring column. The first will not fit anywhere on the stearing which is a rather special cast aluminum construction. The second would place the GPS at least 10 cm further away from the present position, i.e. further backwards and further towards the center. A position I did not like, as you would have to lower your eyes even more to see the screen.
I also liked the idea that the GPS is fixed relative to the instrument panel and not relative to the stearing position.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great idea for your GPS. I'm looking into either the TomTom or the Zumo(the only 2 options) when I pick up my Fireblade. I didn't realize the Zumo was so huge. I can't tell 100%, but it appears it is mounted on the underside of your fairing. Have you tested this at high speed yet? Any problems with the wind?

And your Zumo bothering you with all those safety warnings, check in the menu, somewhere you might be able to disable those warnings. I can do that with my TomTom Go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi thelastosirus,
due do winter season, my insurrence does not allow me to do road test. When spring arrives - 1'st of marts according to insurrence - I will do road tests and report about performance.
You are right - on the Blade the Zümo look quite large, but the large size allows you to control it with your gloves on, and that is nice.
I have searched the menus to turn off warnings, but with no luck. But I have also discovered that a little patience helps. After say 15-30 seconds the warnings dissapear without any interaction, so it is acceptable - but still kind of stupid.

Regards .. Fred

·
Registered
322 Posts
After looking into the TomTom Rider and the Zumo line, I think I'm going to go with the Zumo. I'm even a hard core TomTom fan. But the complaint I read often is the problem with the Rider is you have to pull over to do most any functions. Even to navigate to a favorite which takes a total of 4 taps you can't do without stopping. At least the Zumo you can do these functions.

BTW, has anybody seen the new Zumo 660 yet? Garmin's website says available 1st quarter '09. It has a bigger screen and is still smaller and lighter and longer battery life then the 550. And A2DP Bluetooth also. Oh and the MSRP is $200 less also.

Here the link:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=&pID=15000#featureTab

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
First Riding Report - 100% success

It is Marts 8'th 2009 and winter time has finally ended here in Denmark.
After my first ride on the blade this year I have good news about the mounting bracket which is described in my DIY article: Garmin Zümo GPS Installation - CBR1000RR DIY

- It is rock steady at all speeds (at least those allowed on Danish roads).
- There are no observable vibrations in neither GPS nor left mirror.
- The sound is crystal clear, i.e. no audible interference from ignition and alternator.
- It does not block view to anything on neither the dashboard nor on the left handle controls.
- You almost don't need to bend your head down to see screen.
- Both left hand and right hand control is easy.
- It does not block any stearing movement or hand movement.

Regards ... Fred :dance:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Fred was that designed specifically for bikes and does it come with bluetooth and I presume its waterproof too?
Hi Setanta,

yes, the Garmin Zümo 550 was designed specifically for bikes, and performs excellently for this. It is waterproof, has a highly visible screen under all conditions, bluetooth connections to both your intercom and to your mobile.
Dial up any number you want, or a number from your mobile's phonebook while you are riding - but keep an eye on the traffic - OK? :eek: :)nono: = mr. wise gui)
Or select a new destination among your favorite addresses, still while riding and of course all this with your gloves on !

Here's a a couple of links on youtube with demonstrations. The last two show how it is used while actually riding:

YouTube - Zumo 550 Garmin - How to use Part 1
YouTube - Garmin Zumo 550 Video Review part 1
YouTube - Garmin Zumo 550 Video Review part 2

And - just for the record - I don't work for Garmin :) - I just think they deserve credit for making a good design.
Please also note that my previous post was not intended as a report on how the GPS itself performed, but rather on how my home-made bracket performed.

Regards ... Fred

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Fireblade offers very few good positions for mounting a GPS. I have not been able to find any good solution with the mounting fittings which were delivered with the GPS, so I have designed and built my own mounting bracket and written a "Do It Yourself" article which might inspire others.

Please feel free to comment and/or tell about your own solutions.

I have a Zumo 550 but want something more substantial....check out this UNREAL mounting bracket from Honda Access in Japan for the 07 Blade...

Honda | Honda Access | Gathers M | “ñ—ÖŽÔ�ê—pGPSƒiƒrƒQ�[ƒVƒ‡ƒ“ | CBR1000RR

I gotta get a buddy to design something like this...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts