Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here, just got a '98 RR last week and it's amazing. However: I ran out and swapped to the reserve tank halfway down the motorway and then went to go fill up. Now, I might have overfilled the tank but there seems to be some fuel coming from the fuel tap, no matter what I set it to. Took the tank off and had a look to see what was happening, no leaks coming from the tap, but also the fuel cap seemed to be leaking too when I had the tank upside down to take the tap off.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys,
Conrad

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here, just got a '98 RR last week and it's amazing. However: I ran out and swapped to the reserve tank halfway down the motorway and then went to go fill up. Now, I might have overfilled the tank but there seems to be some fuel coming from the fuel tap, no matter what I set it to. Took the tank off and had a look to see what was happening, no leaks coming from the tap, but also the fuel cap seemed to be leaking too when I had the tank upside down to take the tap off.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys,
Conrad
Where are you seeing the fuel leaking from?
If you spill fuel in the well around the fuel filler it drains through a pipe that runs through the tank and out of a drain tube to the botoom of the fairing. Is this what you're seeing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bunch of fuel did come out of the bottom of the fairing, yes. Also, there was fuel leaking around the fuel tap; I took the tank off like I said, locked the cap in again after I was done and it appears to be all sorted. Would the cap being slightly unlocked affect the fuel leaking at all?

Conrad

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
A bunch of fuel did come out of the bottom of the fairing, yes. Also, there was fuel leaking around the fuel tap; I took the tank off like I said, locked the cap in again after I was done and it appears to be all sorted. Would the cap being slightly unlocked affect the fuel leaking at all?

Conrad
Definately.
Any fuel able to slosh out of the unsealed cap will drain out through that drain line into the fairing. It's not uncommon to find the drain tube has been removed so the fuel may simply be draining onto whatever sits under the outlet under the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Definately.
Any fuel able to slosh out of the unsealed cap will drain out through that drain line into the fairing. It's not uncommon to find the drain tube has been removed so the fuel may simply be draining onto whatever sits under the outlet under the tank.
Interesting - there was definitely fuel on the fuel tap so assumed it was leaking there, but everything is tight and the lines are on safe and sound, both from the tank and both on the fuel tap. I will have a look in the fairing to see if there's any additional fuel there. Thanks!

Cheers guys - it seems to be fixed now. I was struggling a little with the push to lock cap...

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Still leaking a little around the fuel tap. Any ideas?
You'll need to determine where the leak is.
Is it the gasket between the tap and tank?
Is it leaking from the tap itself?
Or the fuel or vacuum lines?
If fuel is coming out around the tap itself then the diaphram inside might be torn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay - the bike has leaked barely any fuel overnight - not enough to classify and it doesn't stink like it did yesterday, so either, I think it's the last of the petrol coming out of the drain tube or the tap is faulty- of course, it could be the seal on the tap that is the problem. I think I'll get some liquid gasket and seal everything up properly. The tap is on hand tightened- is that okay?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Okay - the bike has leaked barely any fuel overnight - not enough to classify and it doesn't stink like it did yesterday, so either, I think it's the last of the petrol coming out of the drain tube or the tap is faulty- of course, it could be the seal on the tap that is the problem. I think I'll get some liquid gasket and seal everything up properly. The tap is on hand tightened- is that okay?
Use sealant that is fuel-compatible if you have some - you don't want it to break down and go through the carbs.
I would think you'd want to nip it up rather than leave it hand tight.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I had a leaky fuel tap on an old TDM that I was going to resurrect, I fixed it by replacing the fuel tap seals. I got the parts from Wemoto, looking on there they don't do fuel tap seals for the Blade so maybe this tap is not repairable?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuel tap is replacable as a whole thing, annoyingly. I've ordered the o-ring I need and after riding 25 odd miles, there's maybe 1 or 2 ml of fuel leaked out of the top of the tap- I'll fit the o-ring tomorrow when it arrives and tighten up the two halves of the fuel tap, but I think the leak will stop when I get to about 2/3rds of a tank full, have a feeling that maybe it's just the extra pressure doing it, or, could be that in using the fuel tap it's started leaking. Either way, will report back soon!

Thanks again guys, you've all been a huge help.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
If it's been sitting for a while any rubber seals and o-rings can deteriorate - particularly common on fuel taps and float bowls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appears to be fixed- don't want to speak too soon but a bit of liquid fuel resistant gasket and the o-ring that should have been there in the first place fitted and no fuel smell or leakages (of course, it's only been half an hour).

Now to sort out the creeping idle as it heats up- I'm guessing it was set cold so I've set it when hot. Also, noticed that when the bike is warm, it's reluctant to drop the revs below 2k or so to idle and I have to drop the clutch a little to get it to drop down there. Any ideas?

Thanks again btw, you guys are amazing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts