Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A Haynes manual so I'm not concerned about the step by step. Was just wondering if you guys had any tips for minimizing gas spillage. As it's fuel injected spilling is inevitable but I'd like to minimize it as much as possible . If you guys can give me some advice aside from clamping the hoses that would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its one thing I hate about this bike, there is no way to not spill gas when removing the tank. The best advice I can give is to put lots of paper towels down and have a helping hand. Doing it by yourself is a pain and you are likely to chip your paint off while trying to crank off the fuel line bolt.

Also note that when you pull off the hose from the FPR to the tank, fuel will come flying out of the tank too. So you have to put your finger on that hole then try to loosen the fuel line bolt. Like I said the more hands the better especially if your care about your paint.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Siphon most of the fuel out first.
I agree it is annoying but, to be fair, there aren't many reasons to remove the tank. Generally you just prop it up or lay it on the seat.

Reactions: CPRF4i

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its one thing I hate about this bike, there is no way to not spill gas when removing the tank. The best advice I can give is to put lots of paper towels down and have a helping hand. Doing it by yourself is a pain and you are likely to chip your paint off while trying to crank off the fuel line bolt.

Also note that when you pull off the hose from the FPR to the tank, fuel will come flying out of the tank too. So you have to put your finger on that hole then try to loosen the fuel line bolt. Like I said the more hands the better especially if your care about your paint.
Yeah, not looking forward to all the spillage.

Siphon most of the fuel out first.
I agree it is annoying but, to be fair, there aren't many reasons to remove the tank. Generally you just prop it up or lay it on the seat.
Was thinking of painting the tank, but mostly I just want to be able to reroute my harness and removing the tank would make that easier. You suggest I just prop it up instead?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
No problem with taking it off. It's a little more work, but no reason not to.
Watch out for scratching where the rear of the tank is below frame.
Definitely siphon out as much gas as you can, and then what little is left will be contained in the deep pocket of the rear portion of the tank.

Have some new banjo bolt washers ready for re-assembly, and I believe torque is 16 lbf-ft.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem with taking it off. It's a little more work, but no reason not to.
Watch out for scratching where the rear of the tank is below frame.
Definitely siphon out as much gas as you can, and then what little is left will be contained in the deep pocket of the rear portion of the tank.

Have some new banjo bolt washers ready for re-assembly, and I believe torque is 16 lbf-ft.
:plus1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts