Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 cbr900rr as pictured below. The gas tank was repainted. Where can I get the wing tip decals for the gas tank? The honda dealership said that the tank came from the manufacturer pre made so there is no decal kit. I was told I have 2 options:

1. Find this exact gas tank
2. Find someone else that has this ...have them trace the decals...and have them made at a vinyl shop and reapplied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I have. They do not have that gas tank. They have similar for different model years like 2000 but the tanks arent the same so the wing tip measurements will be off

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
they may have come pre painted, but there is a part number for those decals. there were two color schemes based on the parts fiche listing the parts as "type 1" and "type 2."
which is which i couldnt tell you.

so looking at the parts fiche you would need one #2 for the right side, and one #4 for the left. of either the type 1 set or the type 2. :)

i coppied the part number and did a quick google search that brings up several honda parts houses that you can check inventory with. most do not have them in stock. i stumbled on this site that has sets of the type 2 in stock. ive never used this site and i have no idea where they are located, or you for that matter, or if thats the right colorway. :)

plus they are not cheap at 53$ per side.

typically, the tank decals are under the clear, but im not certain if thats the case for your model year, but i assume it is.

i would think a good vinyl shop could match the color pretty closely. i dont really know what level of color matching a shop like that could achieve, but its my guess they have a lot of color options.

its also my guess they could do them for far less than 110$ plus shipping costs.

i suppose one issue will be approximating the dimensions because obviously a template is probably out of the question, but i would think a good eye could use the parts fiche diagram and photos as a guide, along with whats on the side fairings to get pretty close. work out a paper template and hold them up, tweaking them until it looks good. then use that to produce the decals.

then i guess its down to choosing if you want to redo the tank and get them under the clear or just slap umm on the sides. :) im not sure how long they would last not being under clear because that area takes a lot of wear from gripping the tank with your legs.

im sure its dependant on where you ask around, but my paint guy said he would do a tank for 100$ plus materials. paint is expensive. i would estimate the decals at a vinyl shop might run ya 50$?, just a guess.. primer, paint and clear is probably another 150. labor...

im guessing this project would run you somewhere in the 300$ range. thats probably a best case scenario.

i guess one other option would be to buy some black stomp grips for the sides of the tank? i guess you could get away with little slivers of the red vinyl just stuck on top of the tank as it sits to the edge of the stomp grips to give an illusion they were under there. :) itd be a lot cheaper overall, and maybe have some added practicality with the tank grips.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Babbits shows the part numbers as 17561-MAS-A10ZA or B and 17512-MAS-A10ZA or B. You might Google those and see what you get. You can go to Hondapartshouse.com and look up the diagrams of your entire bike. I wouldn't buy from them because of cost and shipping time but it's a good resource for part numbers.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Babbits shows the part numbers as 17561-MAS-A10ZA or B
17561-MAS-A10ZA is for the honda emblem on the tank.

so 17512-MAS-A10ZA or B is for the right side

and 17562-MAS-A10ZBA or B is for the left side

looking at this fine parts house that were nice enough to indicate the type A are black leaves me to conclude the type B are red. plus, they have both left and right side type B sets in stock at 28$ each.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much...my concern is that they will provide the decals for another bike there are a couple bikes with similar gas tank designs....but I'll try it out...

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
well, i guess worst case youll just have to return them for a refund. if youre concerned you could give the customer service number a call. that adept powersports site i linked looks pretty well put together. honda parts are bagged and sealed with honda parts number stickers on the packaging. so, i would feel pretty confident the parts people would get me what i ordered, but if you gave them a call and told them you were concerned, i bet they might be obliged to pick the part and call you to visually confirm what they were sending you.

like i mentioned though, im sure they have a return policy if things didnt turn out for some reason. : )

here is another house that has them in stock.

ive not used this particular supplier either, but it is a fairly popular supplier.

since they dont indicate on this site, it might be a good opportunity to call their customer service and ask which part number is the red. as i mentioned based on the other site description, the A or type 1 is black, but it didnt specify that the B or type 2 variant was red.

then while talking to them you can voice your concerns about being sure you are getting the right part. ive always found the customer service for these places ready to go above and beyond to answer my questions and help me out.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
for whatever reason the link above doesnt seem to be cooperating.

if you click the link, it will redirect you in 5 seconds to the 900's category selection, on the right hand column look for "STRIPE + MARK 99" and youll see them listed.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'm sure the part number would be the same in every country, but not all bikes are the same (as you know) in each country. I haven't seen that red/blk livery in UK, but that's not to say they weren't released here, it's just my naievity of the earlier bikes - which I am trying to improve!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Iandoohan would know, I'm sure of it. I don't think they had it for the SC33 but that's because of the colorways. If they had a black tank in 99, they'd probably have red wings.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Of course @IanDoohan would know. But he must have good weather at the moment and riding that Rat Bike or Street Fighter - oh damn, I dunno what it is, that red thing anyway!!

But he'll be back to provide the definitive answer!! He's probably even got a couple stashed away!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not much help, especially with the assist from @954Kevin ?
Yes, Kevin's suggestion of a dedicated vinyl sign shop or decal maker is (to me) the most viable option. They will do the job to within millimetres of original for a fraction of the cost. Even if you don't have a tank to copy from, they can probably scale from a series of pics similar to that as posted above.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Can only add try these, different thing but restored a 1968 Rock Ola juke box, needed the transfers for it which were unavailable, used these guys (over there in the USA), they matched the lettering perfectly, looks the business, worth a shot
Only problem I could see is a Copyright one perhaps

1 - 20 of 27 Posts