Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: What would be the best grade Gasoline to use on the 954. I am more familiar with the 600's and I wasn't sure if I should be running a higher grade due to it being a bigger bike.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Grade? Do you mean octane? If so, just stick with the premium at the pump...here in California it's 91 octane...but I think you guys have 93. If so, go with that. Or, when in doubt, check your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My 2002 954 owner's manual specifically states 87 Octane. Anything else is wasting your money unless you've changed to a higher compression ratio. So if you are not the original owner, try to find out if the previous owner(s) shaved heads or put in thinner gaskets.

The higher the octane number, the slower the burn to prevent premature detonation. It really does not mean more power per se. However, premium fuels may have more additives for cleaning which might be a good thing on occasion.

It's your money!

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
but also remember cheap fuel from a cheap station regardless of grade might be junk. stick to brand names and stay away from "pump n go" stations.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
cbr929re and sscottab both bring up very good points. The best advice is to use the least expensive fuel that prevents pinging (knocking or predetonation) for you. The numbers on the pump don't mean anything other than a guide, which is probably more accurate with big name brand outlets. However, my ST and one of my cars both call for 91 in the manual and I have had to use 87 on a couple occasions and found it less than okay with those vehicles. So start with what the manual recommends.

Factors such as altitude, condition of spark plugs, plug wires, coils, carbon deposits, valve seating and others I cannot think of at the present can have an impact upon how much power is obtained from that precious fluid we call gasoline (or petrol)! Add oxigenators and everything changes. So the numbers on the pump really don't matter. What you have to do (very much like suspension set up settings) is try different fuels to find what works for you locally.

One last comment... we in the US are not used to RON and lanbrown made a succinct explanation of that system of fuel category. The best advice for you is the italicized sentence above and forget about the numbers on the pump.

Another last comment...nothing I've written applies to racing fuel as I assumed you were asking about street use.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
but also remember cheap fuel from a cheap station regardless of grade might be junk. stick to brand names and stay away from "pump n go" stations.
Define cheap fuels from cheap stations, cause around here, they are all expensive regardless of the station. I pretty much understand what ur sayin, but all the gas you buy is the same thing whether from exxon, shell, tom thumb or where ever.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Define cheap fuels from cheap stations, cause around here, they are all expensive regardless of the station. I pretty much understand what ur sayin, but all the gas you buy is the same thing whether from exxon, shell, tom thumb or where ever.
Not true. The base is the same, the additives are different. You also have tank condition, etc.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I'll give you a little story. I used to have an 85 Monte CarloSS. back in college there was this gas station right off campus that had some really cheap gas, figured I'd try it since I was a poor college student. Made the car run like a huge turd. I couldn't burn through that tank fast enough just to get it out. not sure where they got their gas from but I know most stations around here all get it from the big Citgo storage facility a couple towns over.

Not true. The base is the same, the additives are different. You also have tank condition, etc.
:nod:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeah, i wasnt thinkin bout the additives.... But myself, if i need petrol, i stop wherever there is one in sight, specially on the bike with the little fuel that i have to work with...

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I'll give you a little story. I used to have an 85 Monte CarloSS. back in college there was this gas station right off campus that had some really cheap gas, figured I'd try it since I was a poor college student. Made the car run like a huge turd. I couldn't burn through that tank fast enough just to get it out. not sure where they got their gas from but I know most stations around here all get it from the big Citgo storage facility a couple towns over.

I wouldn't give a dime to Shitgo. He doesn't like us, but he likes our money though.

:nod:
Yeah, i wasnt thinkin bout the additives.... But myself, if i need petrol, i stop wherever there is one in sight, specially on the bike with the little fuel that i have to work with...
If you are running on fumes, not much choice. I try not to get that far as if you are in a rural area, are you sure you want to trust cheap fuel? A bike is not fun to push.

·
Registered
511 Posts
93 octane... comp ratio is 11.5:1 on a stock 03'954

1 - 20 of 38 Posts